Law School Discussion

......... OBAMA.! HOPE! WINS!

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK people are IGNORANT...we gonna support a WHITE woman? over a BROTHER?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »
obama is not the best candidate imo. Both Hillary and John Edwards are better candidates. I'll be casting my ballot for one of them.

BO's def getting my vote because I apppreciate his honesty.  He basically said look, we can't just rip our boyz out of Iraq but he had a steady plan that each cycle there would be fewer and fewer soliders over there.   

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 11:31:51 PM »
obama is not the best candidate imo. Both Hillary and John Edwards are better candidates. I'll be casting my ballot for one of them.

Both voted for the War in Iraq. Hillary's other vote basically is a vote for war with Iran. Clinton and Edwards lack the consistency Obama has displayed in state politics and as a U.S. Senator. He is honest and very pragmatic, unlike Clinton and Edwards, whose pragmatism depends on the political wind.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »
You let the states run it and the focus of healthcare will change dramatically. It would be too political. I think the system would suffer dramatically. There's so much that could go wrong. The best doctors work in america because they can make more money in america. Who is going to do that much schooling for half the salary? and don't act like salaries wouldn't be affected by all of this. You mess with salaries and you'll create a situtaion where the best and brightest don't want to go that career route anymore. I just haven't seen any gov't programs that have been run effectively. Private institutions almost always run better than govt institutions in the same field.

Ummmm...Medicare is state run...? It's more efficient than private healthcare and I believe doctors prefer it because they know they'll get paid. AND I'm sure salaries affect healthcare. Doctor salaries, HMO CEO salaries, etc. That doesn't make our system the best...it just makes it more expensive and less accessible. It just shouldn't be the case that people go without healthcare because they can't afford to see a doctor. Anything is better than what we have now.

I don't know about your religious beliefs, but with so many "Christians" in Congress, I don't see why we don't already have universal healthcare.

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 08:28:15 AM »
Consistency in a vacuum (i.e. not succumbing to the "political wind") can be a failing.  Bush II is very consistent.  A pragmatic, modern politician shouldn't be married to any particular course of action.  Cuba, Iraq and Vietnam are all examples of what happens when an administration draws a line in the sand and refuses to budge.
 I'm personally distrustful of politicians who don't change their minds even when their constituents do.  A significant number of New Yorkers supported the war initially, now, not so much.  Much of the "furor" over the the Clinton/Edwards change of heart is a media construct.

Both voted for the War in Iraq. Hillary's other vote basically is a vote for war with Iran. Clinton and Edwards lack the consistency Obama has displayed in state politics and as a U.S. Senator. He is honest and very pragmatic, unlike Clinton and Edwards, whose pragmatism depends on the political wind.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Consistency in a vacuum (i.e. not succumbing to the "political wind") can be a failing.  Bush II is very consistent.  A pragmatic, modern politician shouldn't be married to any particular course of action.  Cuba, Iraq and Vietnam are all examples of what happens when an administration draws a line in the sand and refuses to budge.
 I'm personally distrustful of politicians who don't change their minds even when their constituents do.  A significant number of New Yorkers supported the war initially, now, not so much.  Much of the "furor" over the the Clinton/Edwards change of heart is a media construct.

I know you aren't comparing Bush consistency to Obama consistency. Bush policies are purely self-serving (ie. Medicare/Medicaid Drug Plan, Haliburton, New Orleans No-bid Contracts, I could go on) Yes, consistency in that direction is bad and we knew what we were getting when Bush was elected. Same with Obama except he has a history working for people and not for special interest.

Now, Clinton & Edwards were privy to a lot more information that we were as citizens. So even if a position is politically unpopular, pragmatism should outweigh any voter consensus. People vote for politicians because they want leaders, not followers.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 11:52:54 AM »
my problem is not such much the black white thing 'cause i'm not voting for nobody just 'cause they're black. the problem for me is the reasons given by blacks for voting for hillary. they don't make much sense, are not thought out and all fall under "our laz massa named clinton was real good so this un will be too"

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:03 PM »
I'll be voting for Clinton, so will a number of thougtful black people I know.  You should modify your statement accordingly.

my problem is not such much the black white thing 'cause i'm not voting for nobody just 'cause they're black. the problem for me is the reasons given by blacks for voting for hillary. they don't make much sense, are not thought out and all fall under "our laz massa named clinton was real good so this un will be too"

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
I'll be voting for Clinton, so will a number of thougtful black people I know.  You should modify your statement accordingly.

you're correct....clarification: i do not think that is ignorant to not vote for obama because hillary is white i think the exact opposite in fact. but of the reasons i've heard for NOT voting for obama, not reasons TO vote for hillary (one good one that i share is that  obama can not win the nomination let alone the election but we shall see) many fall under see above. i would love for obama to win but i will be voting for whichever one of them wins the nomination. i do think that experience encompasses more than holding elected office i think it means knowing how washington works which under that definition i agree that obama is inexperienced but i don't think that's a bad thing. i think we need people who are not politics as usual.

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
Black people are ignorant if they support a black man because he's black over a white person who will really protect their interests. I don't think having Clarence Thomas on the Court has done us anything but harm.

(Of course BO is certainly no Clarence Thomas, but support him because you think he's the best, not because he's black. By that same logic women should support HRC because she's one of them...so Barack would lose.)

credited