Law School Discussion

......... OBAMA.! HOPE! WINS!

Re: BLACK people are IGNORANT...we gonna support a WHITE woman? over a BROTHER?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 01:07:42 PM »
agreed..

Black people are ignorant if they support a black man because he's black over a white person who will really protect their interests. I don't think having Clarence Thomas on the Court has done us anything but harm.

(Of course BO is certainly no Clarence Thomas, but support him because you think he's the best, not because he's black. By that same logic women should support HRC because she's one of them...so Barack would lose.)

B probably titled this thread as such because he knew someone would respond based on title alone..whereas he noticed no one was posting in the others lol

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »
LOL, I guess that's my bad then since I kinda set it off.  But some good discussion came from it  :)

:D So true.

B probably titled this thread as such because he knew someone would respond based on title alone..whereas he noticed no one was posting in the others lol

playaj

• AOL Instant Messenger - jonb8305
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »
If you support universal healthcare you're an idiot. That is all.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007, 07:08:18 AM »
that's funny. I think the opposite.

why is that? Universal healthcare is a tremendous idea, definitely better than what we have currently.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
agreed..

Black people are ignorant if they support a black man because he's black over a white person who will really protect their interests. I don't think having Clarence Thomas on the Court has done us anything but harm.

(Of course BO is certainly no Clarence Thomas, but support him because you think he's the best, not because he's black. By that same logic women should support HRC because she's one of them...so Barack would lose.)

Agreed and Agreed.

And per the presidential race debate, I'm with Seventhson on the whole "washington experience" not being persuasive, nor is it a requirement to be a Governor rather than a Senator.  If that were the case, then all 3 frontrunners on the Democratic ticket would be out.

playaj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 04:01:21 PM »

It sounds nice in theory but in practice it absolutely sux. I'm going to give you one example that one of my cohorts across the pond told me about. Over in London, old people tie up the healthcare system, cuz they don't have *&^% else to do so every time they catch a cold they go to the hospital. Imagine a hospital full of olds with minor ailments, who go to the hospital cuz they don't have anyone to talk to and they like chatting it up with hospital staff.

and to give you an idea of what would come of healthcare in this country just take a look at other government run institutions, for example, public schools. and dont get me started on the department of family and children services.

why is that? Universal healthcare is a tremendous idea, definitely better than what we have currently.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2007, 04:32:42 PM »
agreed..

Agreed and Agreed.

And per the presidential race debate, I'm with Seventhson on the whole "washington experience" not being persuasive, nor is it a requirement to be a Governor rather than a Senator.  If that were the case, then all 3 frontrunners on the Democratic ticket would be out.

not a requirement, moreso a preference for some voters.  HRC gets a pass b/c of Bill

I'm voting for BO anyway but I do see their argument.  The first time most people even heard of BO was 4 years ago when he made that articulate moving speech.  Almost everyone else, you've at least heard of prior to that.

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 05:50:47 PM »

It sounds nice in theory but in practice it absolutely sux. I'm going to give you one example that one of my cohorts across the pond told me about. Over in London, old people tie up the healthcare system, cuz they don't have sh*t else to do so every time they catch a cold they go to the hospital. Imagine a hospital full of olds with minor ailments, who go to the hospital cuz they don't have anyone to talk to and they like chatting it up with hospital staff.

and to give you an idea of what would come of healthcare in this country just take a look at other government run institutions, for example, public schools. and dont get me started on the department of family and children services.

I also have a friend in London who says that sometimes the wait is long, but that he would never trade that for American-style healthcare. And if we were to adopt universal healthcare, we could stand to learn from some of the mistakes in Canada and the UK.

Public schools suck for a myriad of reasons other than federalization. But like I said in another thread (and I think Alci even agreed) the federal gov should mandate and subsidize healthcare and let the states run it.

playaj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
You let the states run it and the focus of healthcare will change dramatically. It would be too political. I think the system would suffer dramatically. There's so much that could go wrong. The best doctors work in america because they can make more money in america. Who is going to do that much schooling for half the salary? and don't act like salaries wouldn't be affected by all of this. You mess with salaries and you'll create a situtaion where the best and brightest don't want to go that career route anymore. I just haven't seen any gov't programs that have been run effectively. Private institutions almost always run better than govt institutions in the same field.

It sounds nice in theory but in practice it absolutely sux. I'm going to give you one example that one of my cohorts across the pond told me about. Over in London, old people tie up the healthcare system, cuz they don't have sh*t else to do so every time they catch a cold they go to the hospital. Imagine a hospital full of olds with minor ailments, who go to the hospital cuz they don't have anyone to talk to and they like chatting it up with hospital staff.

I also have a friend in London who says that sometimes the wait is long, but that he would never trade that for American-style healthcare. And if we were to adopt universal healthcare, we could stand to learn from some of the mistakes in Canada and the UK.

Public schools suck for a myriad of reasons other than federalization. But like I said in another thread (and I think Alci even agreed) the federal gov should mandate and subsidize healthcare and let the states run it.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
obama is not the best candidate imo. Both Hillary and John Edwards are better candidates. I'll be casting my ballot for one of them.