Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...  (Read 15203 times)

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »
That is one of the things I love the most about being here I can keep on top of work and still go out 2-4 times a week. There is something for everyone lots of bars and clubs in CC and Old City, bars in UC with undergrads. House parties. There is also tons to do that doesn't involve drinking. There's a bowling club which is very popular, flag football, tons of events in the law school every day, free lunches almost daily and some people find it quite easy to go to NYC or DC every few weekends. Trust me, you won't get bored.

Why did you pick Penn over other schools? Specifically, NYU and Boalt with $$$?

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »
The straight answer is because I felt more comfortable at Penn. That said it came down to Penn, NYU, and Boalt. I visited all three schools (and I would not have made my decision without visiting). It came down to several factors: Philadelphia is cheaper than NYC and Bay Area; the facilities at Penn were beautiful with newly renovated classrooms (as NYU) but Boalt's were seriously lacking and although facilities should not be a deciding factor they do affect the environment in which you will spend most of your time; and, the Boalt student body was a little bit older than Penn's while NYU's was completely disconnected with no real sense of community. The academics at all of them were stellar, but Penn had a legislative clinic and a certificate in environmental policy. Both of which I want to do. Overall, it was not an easy decision but I do not regret it in any way and would say that each school has its own personality so you just have to "date" them and figure out which one is more compatible.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2007, 10:56:42 PM »
Cool, thanks for the answer.  :)

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2007, 10:57:16 PM »
No prob. That's the whole point of being here.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2007, 12:03:50 AM »
could you guys tell me about the social life, more specifically the bars and what not, because hey, who am i kidding?

The bars are AWESOME here. Lots of hole-in-the-wall type places that you'd walk by during the day and have no idea it had an amazing inside, drink menu, etc. You also have some better known, larger bars and there are quite a few sections of the city to go to if you want to have a great time. BYOB restaurants are also big in this city and because they don't need a liquor license the food is just as good but less expensive. Even if you are poor, you will enjoy the finest bars and restaurants in the city because that's where firms take you to recruit you.
Penn Law '09

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the answers folks.

If I may ask another question...

I really liked how the dorms were like 2 feet from classes and the library.  Are they nice places to live?  Also, do LS tend to hang out only with LS?  Or do you chill with other grad students.

One more thing, for the classes for Wharton for the Bizznass cert, are they ridiculously hard?  Like warren buffets all over the place?

Thanks guys/girls, Penn is my top choice.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

'tiki

• Sr. Citizen
  • Big Red goes to Philly
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2007, 12:20:25 AM »
In terms of housing, the dorms are in pretty bad shape and I would not recommend them. I live in CC as does Towelie. But there are tons of housing options closer to the school as well. I know of like 15 1Ls that live across the street. In terms of hanging out, I would say that it is mostly LS with LS but certainly tons of people have friends outside the law school.

I wouldn't know about how hard the Wharton courses are so I can't help you there.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2007, 12:23:22 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the answers folks.

If I may ask another question...

I really liked how the dorms were like 2 feet from classes and the library.  Are they nice places to live?  Also, do LS tend to hang out only with LS?  Or do you chill with other grad students.

One more thing, for the classes for Wharton for the Bizznass cert, are they ridiculously hard?  Like warren buffets all over the place?

Thanks guys/girls, Penn is my top choice.

I haven't taken a Wharton class, so I can't say (though it is only because I'm getting a joint degree in another department, they are obviously available). Don't live in the dorm. CC is where it is at and West Philly is NOT where to be at night! That said, the dorm still attracts 50% of the 1L class, somehow, so if that's your thang then do it. It is very conveinant, but I still say move to Rittenhouse.

Some law kids only hang out with law kids, some hang out with undergrads, some other grads, and most a mix of all 3.
Penn Law '09

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2007, 12:23:27 AM »
Whatever you do don't live in the dorms, I don't know anyone who is happy with them.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2007, 12:28:07 AM »
I really want to feel immersed with the entire class wherever I go, I thought the dorms would be the best option.  Do you guys feel that you are still "part of "the school" even living off campus?  Don't take that quote too literally, I think you guys get what I'm trying to say.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."