Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...  (Read 15715 times)

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
how's crim treating you?  ;)

Towelie and I are 2Ls... crim is a thing of the past.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 06:11:07 PM »
i meant criminology.  i was in crim law with towlie last year...not sure if you were there, but if you both were in section three, then you were :)
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »
i meant criminology.  i was in crim law with towlie last year...not sure if you were there, but if you both were in section three, then you were :)

nope, i was section 2.  ah, yes, towelie is indeed a "criminologist."

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 07:49:23 PM »
tag

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 08:46:49 PM »

Don't hate! It's going very well, thank you :) It is hard to do a J.D./M.S. in 3 years, but I am somehow managing, despite my overwhelming duties as treasurer of the Penn Law Tennis Club.
Penn Law '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

Don't hate! It's going very well, thank you :) It is hard to do a J.D./M.S. in 3 years, but I am somehow managing, despite my overwhelming duties as treasurer of the Penn Law Tennis Club.

lol.  maybe you can work on getting us a good price on t-shirts?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 09:01:24 PM »

lol.  maybe you can work on getting us a good price on t-shirts?

Ok. We'll talk.
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 09:28:33 PM »
Quick question... I'm a senior and I'm applied early decision to penn.  I was thinking about trying to do the JD/MBA program, but I've heard that it can scare off big firms because they  get the perception that you may not be 100% to staying in the law.  Have you heard anything about this?  Thanks!

If you are a senior applying ED to Penn that most likely means you have no work experience and so getting into the MBA program would be INCREDIBLY hard, I would imagine. They love work experience at Wharton, whether you are a JD student or not.

As far as it hurting you with law firms, I haven't heard anything of the like. I know a few JD/MBA students and they've worked at great firms (including one I'm going to this summer ;)). A JD/MBA won't hurt your legal career - whether or not it will help it is the real question. 
Penn Law '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
I wouldn't worry about scaring off firms--if you want a Biglaw job, you'll get one coming from Penn.  I question, however, whether a MBA and the extra year of school--and the money it would cost--is necessary.  You can take four Wharton classes to get a stronger business background if you hope to move in-house.

I recently sat in on a lunch with a Penn grad who is the CEO of company that handles lab tests for hospitals.  He said he had no business training, but he learned on the job.

In short, if you have rich parents that will pay for your degree, by all means go for it.  School's great!  Otherwise, it really isn't necessary.