Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...  (Read 14966 times)

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:53:58 PM »
How would you characterize your fellow Penn students?  Would you agree that the atmosphere is collegial?  Have you enjoyed your law school experience overall?

Thanks!

Penn students are diverse, nice, fun, intelligent, accomplished, open-minded (but still opinionated), and caring (they seem to love pro-bono).

I love the people I go to school with, but I guess I am a Penn troll. It is collegial in the sense that notes and outlines are passed around like crazy. I was very lucky because in my 1L section there were very few gunners (and I took electives that none of the gunners took). Most people are relaxed in the classroom and we laughed a lot (at least in my section).

My law school experience has rocked. I do a lot of extra-curricular activities outside of class, and Penn allows you the opportunity to get very involved in both the school or in topics that interest you. I don't want to leave!
Penn Law '09

cls 2l taking question

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »
have you picked a firm yet?

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

A little of both. Between the firms I am with it was very easy - they honestly made me feel like a super star. One firm told me I am the only person they have ever allowed to go to for only the second half (though I don't believe them), and the other one broke a few of their own rules to allow me to split, but they seemed absolutely thrilled to do so (I am starting a week early and they are letting me split within the same city, something they never do).

But I was in love with one firm in the area who wouldn't let me split because they wouldn't let me start a week early or split in the same city, which I thought was retarded. It sucked giving them up, but the prestige difference in Vault is only 4 spots higher than the firm I got to replace them (though locally it probably is significantly higher, which sucks, but I wanted to split because I am going to a large prestigious local firm and I wanted to compare that to a smaller national satellite office of a strong firm). Oh yeah, and at the higher ranked firm I would have had to do close to 80% litigation for the entire summer despite wanting to be a corporate lawyer (100% set on this), which was equally unappealing. Sorry, some sour grapes still!   

what drives one to want to be a corporate lawyer?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 11:14:36 PM »
have you picked a firm yet?

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

A little of both. Between the firms I am with it was very easy - they honestly made me feel like a super star. One firm told me I am the only person they have ever allowed to go to for only the second half (though I don't believe them), and the other one broke a few of their own rules to allow me to split, but they seemed absolutely thrilled to do so (I am starting a week early and they are letting me split within the same city, something they never do).

But I was in love with one firm in the area who wouldn't let me split because they wouldn't let me start a week early or split in the same city, which I thought was retarded. It sucked giving them up, but the prestige difference in Vault is only 4 spots higher than the firm I got to replace them (though locally it probably is significantly higher, which sucks, but I wanted to split because I am going to a large prestigious local firm and I wanted to compare that to a smaller national satellite office of a strong firm). Oh yeah, and at the higher ranked firm I would have had to do close to 80% litigation for the entire summer despite wanting to be a corporate lawyer (100% set on this), which was equally unappealing. Sorry, some sour grapes still!   

what drives one to want to be a corporate lawyer?

I did corporate and litigation at my firm this last summer and much preferred corporate. Though of course everyone has their reasons, I was a business undergrad major and was always interest in the business aspect of the law - as a result, I found transactional work more fascinating and enjoyed it more. I also like that it is less adversarial as I have the nature to be argumentative and I did not want to foster that in my work.
Penn Law '09

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »
Hi Towelie!  Thanks for all your help last year, even though I ended up not even visiting Penn.  I have almost the exact same reasons for wanting to go corporate (business ug, etc) even though I haven't had any practical experience yet.  Anyhoo, I just wanted to drop by and say thanks!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

themystery

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »
How difficult is the coursework (measure that how you like...hours studying, for example. Just want to get an idea of what to expect)?

What's the curve like?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 11:50:57 PM »
Hi Towelie!  Thanks for all your help last year, even though I ended up not even visiting Penn.  I have almost the exact same reasons for wanting to go corporate (business ug, etc) even though I haven't had any practical experience yet.  Anyhoo, I just wanted to drop by and say thanks!

Hi! You are welcome.  :) How's UMich?
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
How difficult is the coursework (measure that how you like...hours studying, for example. Just want to get an idea of what to expect)?

What's the curve like?

The first few weeks sucked - I studied for a few hours a day. As time went on, though, I read about 30 minutes a day per class for the next day and wound up doing just fine. Make sure you have a good outline, are following what is going on, read the cases (sometimes skimming is okay if you are not on call and you know the teacher will clarify it for you) and are not gunning for the top of the class. There are other Penners on here who can tell you what to do for top grades I guess.

It is difficult material and you don't want to make an ass out of yourself, but sometimes you will. Luckily, the curve at Penn rocks. I think like 3 1L's got C's and everyone else got a B- or above - there was even one elective where 50% of the class got A's, and 75% got A's or A-'s (i.e. there are no curves for second semester elective classes, which make up mostly half your schedule and teachers generally are nicer than the school's suggested curve). Employers have no clue where you are in your class a lot of time and neither do you.
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 10:29:25 AM »
Back for a bit. Any more questions before I hibernate again?
Penn Law '09

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
How can I be as cool as you?  ;)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 06:00:28 PM »
how's crim treating you?  ;)
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN