Law School Discussion

Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...

Towelie

• View Profile
Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »
Haven't been on here in a long time. Any questions? I'm a Penn 2L who used to post on here a lot.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Towelie (Penn 2L) taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 07:56:12 PM »
How did the 1L SA gig go?
(I seem to recall you saying you got one)

Did you just mass mail, or did you have some connections?

Towelie

• View Profile
Re: Towelie (Penn 2L) taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
How did the 1L SA gig go?
(I seem to recall you saying you got one)

Did you just mass mail, or did you have some connections?

Mass mailed, but I had some opportunities via connections (I just liked the firm I picked, which I had no connection to, better). Anyways, 1L SA was awesome - I'd be a summer associate the rest of my life if I could be. I look forward to doing it again (though I am going elsewhere this summer).

Towelie

• View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 08:07:39 PM »
ever felt unsafe in that area of philly?

Yes. I live in the best area and I've felt unsafe here too, but I am a bit of a wimp. It's definitely not a safe city, but you just have to be careful (cab it at night, know areas to avoid) and you will be fine.

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:10:53 PM »
what's the best area?  where do most 1Ls? live?

Rittenhouse Square. Half of 1L's live in the graduate dorms, but that is a big mistake. Move to Center City if you go to Penn - specifically, Rittenhouse. It's a lot more fun and it's where most of the bar hopping, shopping and social events are.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
have you picked a firm yet?

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 08:39:33 PM »

Sort of. My summer is almost all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California (have officially accepted and worked out the timing and received approval for the split, etc.) But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:45:04 PM »

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

A little of both. Between the firms I am with it was very easy - they honestly made me feel like a super star. One firm told me I am the only person they have ever allowed to go to for only the second half (though I don't believe them), and the other one broke a few of their own rules to allow me to split, but they seemed absolutely thrilled to do so (I am starting a week early and they are letting me split within the same city, something they never do).

But I was in love with one firm in the area who wouldn't let me split because they wouldn't let me start a week early or split in the same city, which I thought was retarded. It sucked giving them up, but the prestige difference in Vault is only 4 spots higher than the firm I got to replace them (though locally it probably is significantly higher, which sucks, but I wanted to split because I am going to a large prestigious local firm and I wanted to compare that to a smaller national satellite office of a strong firm). Oh yeah, and at the higher ranked firm I would have had to do close to 80% litigation for the entire summer despite wanting to be a corporate lawyer (100% set on this), which was equally unappealing. Sorry, some sour grapes still!   

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
How would you characterize your fellow Penn students?  Would you agree that the atmosphere is collegial?  Have you enjoyed your law school experience overall?

Thanks!