Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...  (Read 15189 times)

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:54:23 PM »
Haven't been on here in a long time. Any questions? I'm a Penn 2L who used to post on here a lot.
Penn Law '09

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Towelie (Penn 2L) taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:56:12 PM »
How did the 1L SA gig go?
(I seem to recall you saying you got one)

Did you just mass mail, or did you have some connections?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Towelie (Penn 2L) taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
How did the 1L SA gig go?
(I seem to recall you saying you got one)

Did you just mass mail, or did you have some connections?

Mass mailed, but I had some opportunities via connections (I just liked the firm I picked, which I had no connection to, better). Anyways, 1L SA was awesome - I'd be a summer associate the rest of my life if I could be. I look forward to doing it again (though I am going elsewhere this summer).
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 10:07:39 PM »
ever felt unsafe in that area of philly?

Yes. I live in the best area and I've felt unsafe here too, but I am a bit of a wimp. It's definitely not a safe city, but you just have to be careful (cab it at night, know areas to avoid) and you will be fine.
Penn Law '09

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »
what's the best area?  where do most 1Ls? live?

Rittenhouse Square. Half of 1L's live in the graduate dorms, but that is a big mistake. Move to Center City if you go to Penn - specifically, Rittenhouse. It's a lot more fun and it's where most of the bar hopping, shopping and social events are.
Penn Law '09

cls 2l taking question

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:33:06 PM »
have you picked a firm yet?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:39:33 PM »

Sort of. My summer is almost all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California (have officially accepted and worked out the timing and received approval for the split, etc.) But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.
Penn Law '09

cls 2l taking question

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:41:36 PM »

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »

Sort of. My summer is all set - I'm splitting between two firms in northern California. But I may go back for a few weeks to my 1L firm (which is unsettled as of right now). As of now, I'm down to at least 2 firms for the summer and I am very excited about both of them.

was the split easy to get or did it take finnagling?

A little of both. Between the firms I am with it was very easy - they honestly made me feel like a super star. One firm told me I am the only person they have ever allowed to go to for only the second half (though I don't believe them), and the other one broke a few of their own rules to allow me to split, but they seemed absolutely thrilled to do so (I am starting a week early and they are letting me split within the same city, something they never do).

But I was in love with one firm in the area who wouldn't let me split because they wouldn't let me start a week early or split in the same city, which I thought was retarded. It sucked giving them up, but the prestige difference in Vault is only 4 spots higher than the firm I got to replace them (though locally it probably is significantly higher, which sucks, but I wanted to split because I am going to a large prestigious local firm and I wanted to compare that to a smaller national satellite office of a strong firm). Oh yeah, and at the higher ranked firm I would have had to do close to 80% litigation for the entire summer despite wanting to be a corporate lawyer (100% set on this), which was equally unappealing. Sorry, some sour grapes still!   
Penn Law '09

summerlovin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 10:45:29 PM »
How would you characterize your fellow Penn students?  Would you agree that the atmosphere is collegial?  Have you enjoyed your law school experience overall?

Thanks!