Law School Discussion

Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...

Towelie

• View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking questions for a little bit...
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »
I wouldn't worry about scaring off firms--if you want a Biglaw job, you'll get one coming from Penn.  I question, however, whether a MBA and the extra year of school--and the money it would cost--is necessary.  You can take four Wharton classes to get a stronger business background if you hope to move in-house.

I recently sat in on a lunch with a Penn grad who is the CEO of company that handles lab tests for hospitals.  He said he had no business training, but he learned on the job.

In short, if you have rich parents that will pay for your degree, by all means go for it.  School's great!  Otherwise, it really isn't necessary.

Right, but even it is unnecessary to 99.9% of people, some people may benefit from it...and besides, it is Wharton. It is just ridiculously hard to get into with no work experience! But they are going to start a 3 year JD/MBA in the near future (I believe), which will be much more economical and appealing (and I think it will only take 3-4 people, so super competitive).

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 06:56:32 PM »
I wouldn't worry about scaring off firms--if you want a Biglaw job, you'll get one coming from Penn.  I question, however, whether a MBA and the extra year of school--and the money it would cost--is necessary.  You can take four Wharton classes to get a stronger business background if you hope to move in-house.

I recently sat in on a lunch with a Penn grad who is the CEO of company that handles lab tests for hospitals.  He said he had no business training, but he learned on the job.

In short, if you have rich parents that will pay for your degree, by all means go for it.  School's great!  Otherwise, it really isn't necessary.

Right, but even it is unnecessary to 99.9% of people, some people may benefit from it...and besides, it is Wharton. It is just ridiculously hard to get into with no work experience! But they are going to start a 3 year JD/MBA in the near future (I believe), which will be much more economical and appealing (and I think it will only take 3-4 people, so super competitive).

Alright awesome.  Thanks so much for the advice.  I don't have rich parents haha, so I was only going to do it if it seemed like it would give me a huge advantage.  Also, good point about me getting into Wharton, I don't think that my status as a part-time LSAT tutor would constitute "work," let alone working as a landscaper :D.

Also, what's the night life like?  I go to a very large school in Pennsylvania that is notorious for football and beer.  I think you can figure it out.  And no it's not Pitt, because Pitt sucks!  Just curious if you could give me a feel for the vibe at Penn; I'm really over the drunk sloppy sorority girl scene at Penn State. ha

I went to a large party state school so I can very easily relate to the switch. There is a world of difference. While the night life is fun (and mostly consists of bar hopping in Center City or Old City) there are also plenty of grown up things to do like go to lectures, operas, etc. The restaurant scene is amazing in Philadelphia and there are some great bars too.

There is a good-sized undergrad population though, so if you long for keggers and house parties, I'm sure you can find them... but it's not usually what the law school does (though there have been some keggers this year which have been rather enjoyable).

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 07:36:16 PM »
No you're a towel!

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:20 PM »
No you're a towel!

Am I to understand there's been some sort of Towelie-ban?

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »
No you're a towel!

Am I to understand there's been some sort of Towelie-ban?

They like to air dry.

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »
hi! penn 1L here. what should we be doing now?
i'm doing outlining and plan to take practice exams. too little time, too much to do... CP&P is not particularly helpful, so i'm looking for a job next semester...

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 07:07:41 PM »
hi! penn 1L here. what should we be doing now?
i'm doing outlining and plan to take practice exams. too little time, too much to do... CP&P is not particularly helpful, so i'm looking for a job next semester...

If you're not absolutely committed to a firm job, hold off on the job search until winter break.  (And if you might want to work for a firm, there's still 1L OCI in the spring, where I got a callback from a good NY firm.)  Your first priority should be working old tests; if that means you don't finish outlining, study from an old one.

CPP actually CAN'T help until Dec. 1st; it's against NALP guidelines.

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
What do you think are the biggest misconceptions about Penn?

Also...how would you evaluate Penn's Constitutional Law Program and clerkship opportunities compared to other T14 schools?

Team Pam

• "You know, I invented electricity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »
Is it true that Penn 2Ls don't have to attend classes and can just travel all over the globe instead?

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 08:10:25 PM »
What do you think are the biggest misconceptions about Penn?
Also...how would you evaluate Penn's Constitutional Law Program and clerkship opportunities compared to other T14 schools?

Your first question is a bit vague, but I can answer better if you ask me something more along the lines of, "I heard ____.  Is it true?"  I guess the one thing I thought as an applicant was that going to a higher-ranked T14 (Columbia, for example) would be more helpful as far as getting a Biglaw job.  Not true!  Anyone who can give a halfway decent interview can get a good firm job, even with pretty bad grades.  The hardest part of OCI is choosing which job offer to take!  I'm guessing this is true for most T14s--in fact, I would say the general misconception of prelaws is that you can make a meaningful comparison between the closely-ranked T14 schools based on exit options/prestige.  Possibly excluding HYS, just choose the one you like the best!

I can't compare between schools, but we have some really great Con Law scholars here, as well as a great variety of classes.  I'm taking a seminar in First Amendment theory next semester.  Our ACS (American Constitutional Society) chapter is the biggest in the nation, bringing tons of great speakers--most recently, the woman who argued the Seattle Schools case before the Supreme Court last term.  Ted Olsen and Larry Tribe were also just here to give a talk as part of programming in conjunction with the National Constitution Center.

As for clerkships, I think that's the area where HYS is really separated from the rest of the T14.  That said, Penn has two grads clerking for the Supreme Court this year, and I know several people going to prestigious circuit clerkships (including Kozinski).  You'll be able to get Federal District with average grades, possibly even poor grades depending on the district.  If you do well, you can go anywhere.