Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Advice!!  (Read 333 times)

rugbygal

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Need Advice!!
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:23:51 PM »
Hey everyone,
It seems like a lot of people here give good advice, so hopefully someone can help me out here.  I took the LSAT in Sept. and basically bombed it.  My average practice test was around 164-165, but I ended up scoring a 157.  On the first logic game of the test I copied one of the rules down incorrectly, which caused me to answer 6 questions wrong and by the time I realized my error I didn't have enough time to go back and correct the problems.  I also misread many of the LR problems and made a lot of stupid errors.  Basically I was really nervous and I'm obviously going to retake in December. 

I really want to go to University of San Diego, but at the moment my LSAT and 3.3 GPA are not working for me.  I had a 3.9 my senior year, but when I went abroad the manner in which my grades were transferred back really hurt me since the school I studied at used a very different method of grading (I will be attaching an addendum) and killed my GPA.  Anyways, USD has a part time program which is easier to get into, but I'd much rather go full time. Should I send in my applications now for the part time program or should I wait until January 1st to get my LSAT score and send everything as soon as I get it?  Also, should I just apply to the full time program, but state in an addendum that I would definitely go into the part time program if rejected from the full time?  On the application you are told you can only check full time or part time and not both.  For all of the other schools I am applying to, should I hold off on the apps or send them in with a note saying I am retaking the LSAT, so they should wait to decide on my app??  I hope that didn't sound too confusing. Any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks!!!

Tetris

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2146
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Need Advice!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »
Well according to LSASC your odds at getting into USD are about 25%. 

First of all, I would write a very short addendum (3-4 sentences) explaining the overseas GPA thing. 

Second of all, I would NOT write an addendum that you would go into the part time program if not accepted into the full time program.  If the application says you can't apply to both, dont try to apply to both with an addendum... I think that would look odd and annoy the adcomm.  Thats just my opinion. 

If you are dead-set at attending USD then I would consider applying part time, as much as it would suck.  Because 25% is nothing to bank on.  If you don't want to apply for part time then I would hold off on applying until January scores came in.  If you score in the mid 60s then you can apply full time without sweating it out.  But if your score still fails to "break though" then you will be glad you waited and can apply part time with no regrets.  You also might want to call USD and ask them if you can (1) apply to both or (2) apply for full time now but change the application to part-time pending after your January score is released if neccessary.  I can see this being possible b/c they wouldn't make a decision before the score came in anyway.

As far as the other schools go, most applications have a place to write "anticipted" LSAT dates and they will hold off on decision until your LSAT score has arrived.  So apply now and just make sure that you've either noted it on the application or if for some reason there is no place to write your future LSAT dates then call the school and ask what to do.

_______
.|E|R|S.

rsr28

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 426
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advice!!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:25 PM »
In my opinion, based on what you've said, I would apply now and make sure you fill in on the app that you will be taking the LSAT in December.

Tetris

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 2146
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Need Advice!!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
In my opinion, based on what you've said, I would apply now and make sure you fill in on the app that you will be taking the LSAT in December.

Again, if you are really set on going to USD and would rather go PT at USD than FT somewhere else then I would call the school first and see if you can change your application from FT to PT after the January LSAT if your score doesn't improve much.
_______
.|E|R|S.