Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How personal is TOO personal for a PS?  (Read 1172 times)

AnonPS

• View Profile
    • Email
How personal is TOO personal for a PS?
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

doubledown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How personal is TOO personal for a PS?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »
I think that for the most part, the PS should be positive. No one wants to be depressed, so if you discuss those things make sure that you constantly qualify them with positive  (i.e. how those things tie in with law school).  You don't want the essay to read "intro...negative negative...more negative negative..transition to more negative...but on a positive note...conclusion."

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »
I'm talking about things that may make some people uncomfortable, but give a lot of perspective into where you come from/who you are.  (ie: family infidelity, rage/bitterness towards a parent/sibling, divorce/abandonment, etc.)  What about if the message is ultimately a positive one? (ie: I've aspired to be a better person/rise above/not become a part of the cycle).  What's the defining line of honesty and too MUCH honesty?

When in doubt, don't!
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Leo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »
I'm talking about things that may make some people uncomfortable, but give a lot of perspective into where you come from/who you are.  (ie: family infidelity, rage/bitterness towards a parent/sibling, divorce/abandonment, etc.)  What about if the message is ultimately a positive one? (ie: I've aspired to be a better person/rise above/not become a part of the cycle).  What's the defining line of honesty and too MUCH honesty?

When in doubt, don't!

I completely disagree. I wrote a similar type of essay and it worked very well for me. I even had a few admissions officers personally contact me to let me know that. Like you (the OP) said, it sheds a lot of light on where you come from and who you are.
That said, there of course has to be some overarching point to it. But you seem to already understand that.

Anyway, it appears you've run away at this point, so there's no need for me to keep typing.

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »

When in doubt, don't!

I completely disagree. I wrote a similar type of essay and it worked very well for me. I even had a few admissions officers personally contact me to let me know that. Like you (the OP) said, it sheds a lot of light on where you come from and who you are.
That said, there of course has to be some overarching point to it. But you seem to already understand that.

Anyway, it appears you've run away at this point, so there's no need for me to keep typing.

I'm a little late seeing your reply, and I'm glad your PS worked for you.  As a general rule though, I stand by my original assertion.  If something you've written gives you pause, then you can believe it'll do the same for the adcomm.  Sure, you may decide, it's worth the risk in the end; but do indeed know that, for some, it's not a risk worth taking.  Just my $0.02.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?