Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What If..?  (Read 1227 times)

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
What If..?
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
What if I can only get 2 LOR's in because the other person is just taking their sweet time and who knows if it will actually ever get there? 2 schools I am applying to recommend 3 LORs, but I only have 2 received, what's the haps?

Will I be shunned and disowned from darkening their doors?

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What If..?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:33:04 PM »
I am in the same situation.  My third letter writer is the one who I thikn would write the best letter for me, but he is super flaky lately and I am tired of chasing it.  I just don't know what will happen because I listed him as a recommender on my apps, and I am afraid my otherwise complete files will sit and wait for his letter.  I need to put some time into research on this issue... sigh.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »
I am in the same situation.  My third letter writer is the one who I thikn would write the best letter for me, but he is super flaky lately and I am tired of chasing it.  I just don't know what will happen because I listed him as a recommender on my apps, and I am afraid my otherwise complete files will sit and wait for his letter.  I need to put some time into research on this issue... sigh.

Let me know when this research yields a satisfactory answer, I'd like to know as well.

I'm in a slightly better position, as my AWOL recommender is probably my worst, instead of the best.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
Better than having both of your letters missing despite giving the info to your recommenders a month ago and asking them to have it in by the end of October... and then sending them an email 2 days ago but they won't respond.
_______
.|E|R|S.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »
I was worried about this too (except for my 4th rec, not my 3rd).. until I actually applied.

When you go to add schools under the LOR tab on LSAC... in a little box it tells you each schools policy. For most of the schools I applied to (look at my sig) it said they would accept a new report as soon as a new letter came in. A couple of schools only get updated reports at a certain time each month, and I think one or two said they do not take updated reports (meaning your SOL for those ones).

But, I'm fairly sure for most of the schools, you will go complete as soon as you have the minimum required number of LOR, but they will accept more as they come along, up to the particular school's limit.

Additionally, I can't remember which school, but one application gave me the option of holding my completion until all recs were in.

Does that help? :D

Vandy 1L... really?

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
I was worried about this too (except for my 4th rec, not my 3rd).. until I actually applied.

When you go to add schools under the LOR tab on LSAC... in a little box it tells you each schools policy. For most of the schools I applied to (look at my sig) it said they would accept a new report as soon as a new letter came in. A couple of schools only get updated reports at a certain time each month, and I think one or two said they do not take updated reports (meaning your SOL for those ones).

But, I'm fairly sure for most of the schools, you will go complete as soon as you have the minimum required number of LOR, but they will accept more as they come along, up to the particular school's limit.

Additionally, I can't remember which school, but one application gave me the option of holding my completion until all recs were in.

Does that help? :D

Yes, yes it does!

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 03:05:37 PM »
This thread must be good luck... one of my professors sent the letter in today :D
_______
.|E|R|S.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
Same thing is happening to me (see my thread "Help! One of my letter writers is ignoring me"). I just had the 2 that I have sent in. I then notified all the schools that asked on their applications how many rec's I'd be sending or who would be writing recs that to consider my application complete once the two from recommender's x and y came in. I also let them know that a 3rd rec from recommender z may come in later, but not to wait for it.

:(

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:25:34 PM »
Same thing is happening to me (see my thread "Help! One of my letter writers is ignoring me"). I just had the 2 that I have sent in. I then notified all the schools that asked on their applications how many rec's I'd be sending or who would be writing recs that to consider my application complete once the two from recommender's x and y came in. I also let them know that a 3rd rec from recommender z may come in later, but not to wait for it.

Better than having both ignore you :(  At least I got one to respond... now I just have to wait for the 2nd one to get sent.  How long should I wait before sending another email?  Or should I go see her in person?  The last one I sent I think was on Monday or Tuesday and she hasn't replied since...
_______
.|E|R|S.

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 06:56:57 AM »

I am leaning towards doing this myself.  Did you call or email the schools?