Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal writing midterm drama at my school  (Read 3042 times)

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
Legal writing midterm drama at my school
« on: November 03, 2007, 11:35:32 AM »
The 1L class at my school had a midterm exam recently which covered primarily the structure of the state and federal court system and legal research.  Both 1L day sections and the 1L evening section took the same exam.  The Scan Trons haven't even been fed through their machines and drama is already afoot.

The administration received "word" that some of the 1L day students were "overheard" discussing the content of the exam with some of the evening students.  My school's handbook has clear procedures laid out for instances of cheating.  According to the handbook, all allegations of cheating will be investigated fully and those found in violation of the school's "honor code" will be punished accordingly.  However, my school's deans, in their infinite wisdom, have decided not to follow their own policy.  Instead of trying to discern who was cheating and confronting those people, they instead are THROWING OUT the midterm (which many of us spent long, long hours preparing for) and is going to give us a legal writing final instead.

Needless to say, those of us who didn't cheat and feel as though we did well on the exam are highly pissed.  The whole 1L class in going into meltdown mode, myself included.  Why the f*$% should I and the entire rest of the class be punished because of unsubstantiated allegations?   >:(

Many people are talking about mounting a massive protest, writing letters, etc.  Does anyone have a similar experience to share?  Is there really any point in fighting the administration on this?
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Legal writing midterm drama at my school
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
damn, you guys have a legal writing midterm?  that sucks.  is your class for a grade?
Columbia 3L

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:37:06 PM »
Wow i feel for you guys. If we had a midterm in our LRW class i'd probably hang myself.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »
not only is the class graded, it is subject to the same curve as torts, k's, con law, etc   >:(

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:55:15 AM »
I question the wisdom of schools that grade legal writing assignments.  Just too subjective. 

Tell me about it!  This is a f***ing state school, too.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:43:27 AM »
not only is the class graded, it is subject to the same curve as torts, k's, con law, etc   >:(

that sucks
Columbia 3L

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »
I question the wisdom of schools that grade legal writing assignments.  Just too subjective. 

I dont see why a legal writing assignment is any more subjective than a typical law school essay exam.

Law school exams are not written to test a student's quantity of knowledge, they are written to test a student's understanding and analysis of the subject.  In other words - they are subjective and have a lot to do with a student's ability to effectively convey their ideas (ie: writing).

I do not have any experience with scantron law school tests or LWR exams, but I will say that I dont think a prof's grading of a normal memo or brief assignment is any more subjective than the grading of a 10 page take home final exam.
2L

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 10:42:09 AM »
Why isn't this posted on the students and graduates section?  No need to scare the prelaws!

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
Why isn't this posted on the students and graduates section?  No need to scare the prelaws!

because that board is slow and dreary
Columbia 3L

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 02:36:21 PM »

that sucks

It does.  In our legal writing sections of 16-17, professors can award a maximum of two As, and then only if they offset the "second" one with a grade of C- or lower for another person in the class.  I don't think this helps people's employment prospects.  Grading legal writing on a curve is ridiculous.  If you're good you should get an A, decent but could use improvement, a B, etc.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.