Law School Discussion

Which schools are right and left wing in the T1

t...

• View Profile
Re: Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 07:42:45 AM »
So what professions are all the Repuliconservatives going into, in which they'd be the majority?

Oh wait...

oscist

• AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 08:46:16 AM »
No, O'Reilly does not speak for me.  I'm assuming both Noam Chomsky and Joe Lieberman speak for you, though.  (Please get the joke/point.)  ;)

For a serious response:  Like I told the girl in the other thread, it's important to distinguish between faculty and student body.  Chicago has some superstar faculty that would be considered to the right, but I would by no means consider Chicago's faculty conservative.  They are just less of a minority there than they are at other schools, or at least more of an outspoken minority.  All of the other schools I'm sure are predominantly left-leaning.  Plus, remember the Duke law faculty and their embarassing behavior during the rape scandal? 

I've heard nothing but good things about Chicago debate within the classroom.  And I think checking the size of the conservative groups at each campus is a really good idea as well.  I would normally maintain that this type of thing isn't anything to worry about, and that intelligent people of all different political persuasions will get along together fine, but this thread is a bit worrisome  :P

Duke and UVA's student body, from what I've heard (and people should correct me if I'm wrong), is more conservative than most schools, and I would expect that UT and Vandy would be similar. 

Boalt is probably a bad option for you, but I figure you know that already.  There was even a book written about the atmosphere at Boalt entitled The Diversity Hoax.  Kinda cute.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 09:08:07 AM »
intelligent people of all different political persuasions will get along together fine,

seriously? 

K?

• Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »
Both sides of this thread make me lol.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 12:29:06 PM »
I disagree that G-town is really that far left.

In fact, most of the people I know who have very outspoken political views are right leaning.
The federalist society thrives as well.

I am not saying that the school is a mecca for Reagan lovers, but its certainly no people's republic either.

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 12:59:21 PM »
In fact, most of the people I know who have very outspoken political views are right leaning.
The federalist society thrives as well.

might just be that they are extra-outspoken because they feel like there are only a few of them and they need to compensate.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »
You may be right- but collectively they make up a good enough portion of the political constituency that they need not feel that way.

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 01:51:50 PM »
So what professions are all the Repuliconservatives going into, in which they'd be the majority?

Oh wait...

I'd guess business, oil, engineering.