Law School Discussion

Which schools are right and left wing in the T1

Re: Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
You know why this is (that generally those who continue to educated themselves become sooo liberal)...because after the right wing thinkers get educated, they go out and make the world work and cause society to progress....leftists on the other hand soon realize after graduation that their paradigms and ideas are completely ridiculous in the real world, and so many of them retreat back in academia, and never wanting to leave they eventually become profs (well, some become transient weed smoking hippies who frequent green peace protests). Unfortunately what has happened is that while the pragmatic conservatives have been making this the greatest country in the world for the past few decades (like Reagan for example), the leftists have done all but take over our universities and thereby have been able to proselytize a disproportionate percentage of young minds to adopt their liberal (and sometimes crazy ultra liberal) positions....and now look what is happening in America...

...Now in America we want to dialogue with evil dictators who begin their public speeches with chants like "Death to America" instead of blowing their ass off this planet (I mean what we really should do is TALK more with Iran, because they are obviously rational...and then if that doesn't work maybe we can just take another vote at the UN the problem will simply go away) Would if we would have handled Hitler this way?....And we want to give illegal immigrants driver's licenses for goodness sake (eg.in NYC...you'd think since 9/11 was in NYC they would see the national security risk in doing something like this) instead of doing the obvious and sending them home so they can wait in line with all the law abiding people who are going through proper channels to get into America. No instead we throw our border guards in jail for trying to stop them from crossing...
... Now in America we put our soldiers on trial for being too rough on the terrorists they are interrogating. (After all we don't want to insult their culture by making them take their clothes off and pouring water on them....especially when they are sooo humane to those of us they catch...yes we should shut down Guantanamo and down play how they brutally torture, parade, and then behead our reporters and POW's on the internet.)
...Yes, in America we champion the cause of humane treatment to all... as we fight for and applaud things like partial birth abortion (the baby is half out for f**k sake, and then the doctor kills it by sticking something in its head...I mean what sick individual dreamed that up. At that point why not at least give the baby up for adoption...That's right, the leftist agena is making America a better place...KILL BABIES! SAVE WHALES!)

Anyways, I'm ranting now which I realize solves nothing (generally I prefer open minded dialogue with other open minded people), but I thought a rant would be more fitting as it would allow me to fit in with my passionate leftist counterparts on this post)

while i commend you for your attempt to poke fun at the left (i mean come on, it's fun and even those of you on the left have to acknowledge this), i fear that you've done nothing more than reinforce in people's minds the idea that anyone to the right of center is, in fact, crazy.

oscist

• AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »
Interestingly, some girl asked the same question a few weeks ago, albeit she was looking for a more liberal school.  There were no insults and patronizing in that thread like there was immediately in this thread.  In fact, people from "the right" were helpful and cordial.  I'm also sure if someone engaged in a debate with her from "the right," the arguments wouldn't be so dismissively simple and insulting as "Link? Link? Link?"  

Ah, the party of tolerance and enlightenment.  Such good-natured, helpful people.   ::)

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
Interestingly, some girl asked the same question a few weeks ago, albeit she was looking for a more liberal school.  There were no insults and patronizing in that thread like there was immediately in this thread.  In fact, people from "the right" were helpful and cordial.  I'm also sure if someone engaged in a debate with her from "the right," the arguments wouldn't be so dismissively simple and insulting as "Link? Link? Link?" 

Ah, the party of tolerance and enlightenment.  Such good-natured, helpful people.   ::)

what the left says to the right: you have bad arguments.
what the right says to the left: you are bad people.

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 04:07:03 PM »
I think it's funny when Republicans try to grind this ax, then turn around and vote pro-hate against gays.

look, are they voting pro-hate or against gays?  we're at war people, pick a side.

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »
look, are they voting pro-hate or against gays?  we're at war people, pick a side.

oh, I'm sorry.  I'll stop complaining and bow to the war machine now.   :)

screw bowing.  bring me some food.

::pokes fun at feminists with hammers::

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »
In fact, one guy I rather like and respect and enjoy talking to has worked in fund raising for republicans for several years.  He worked on the 2004 Bush campaign and is currently attached to the Giulliani campaign.

Ohhh! Is he single and cute?  ;)

oscist

• AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:01 PM »
Ah, the party of tolerance and enlightenment.  Such good-natured, helpful people.   ::)

I think it's funny when Republicans try to grind this ax, then turn around and vote pro-hate against gays.

:)

I mean, honestly now.  There's a difference between generally being accepting of views and accepting any old thing just because it's a view.

(note, I said Republicans, not right-leaners.  I understand gay hate is a platform plank, not an integral part of being right of center).

I understand that, but the OP wasn't really espousing any specific view with the purpose of debate, he was asking a genuine question about the political leanings of certain schools.  Again, I would point you to a thread where the exact same question was posed, but from the 'opposite' political spectrum.  And yes, if certain Republicans vote "pro-hate" against gays and defend their votes by simply saying "I hate gays," then they have no right to criticize the intolerance of liberals.  This is rarely the case, and most of these voters probably believe what they're doing is the "good thing" for their country.  In that sense, I'd rather be on the wrong side of the argument and be a nice person rather than a complete a-hole with the correct opinion.

From intelligent people, I've seen this type of attitude more from the left.  The OP raises a good point with the amount of mind-numbing protests that serve to silence other speech rather than simply "be heard."  

As a disclaimer of sorts, I should note that I don't vote "pro-hate" on gays, whatever bacon means by that.  

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
::hammers everyone on all sides of the political spectrum::

::enjoys getting hammered::

wait...

also, i don't think we're going to get anywhere debating which side is more tolerant or congenial.  there are intolerant assholes on all sides of all questions.  this is because most people are intolerant assholes.

::asplodes::

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 10:11:36 PM »
Wow, this thread sure exploded...some of the counters to my rant were in my opinion descent and some we quite pathetic (...link...) considering how easy most rants are to attack (whether coming from the left or right). Lots of passion, lots of holes, but still kinda fun. I was planning on giving a few counters to whatever was posted in response (and there are some worth responding to), but I unfortunately do not have that much time...

Anyways, if you can tolerate just a few more questions regarding evaluating the schools Id appreciate it:

So is this a general concensus so far???:
All of the top schools are left leaning or ultra left leaning... for the t14...Harvard, Chicago, and Uva  (and maybe Duke) would be the most balanced although still left??? Yale, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Michigan, Berkley, and Gtown are all somewhat further to the left.

What about Cornell and Northwestern???

Also, moving a few spots down, where would Vandy and Texas factor into this spectrum?

Last, thanx to whoever posted (then removed) the list from Princeton Review...it was helpful, but I'm not really looking at any of those schools. But thanx none the less.

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 05:12:13 AM »
Wow, this thread sure exploded...some of the counters to my rant were in my opinion descent and some we quite pathetic (...link...) considering how easy most rants are to attack (whether coming from the left or right). Lots of passion, lots of holes, but still kinda fun. I was planning on giving a few counters to whatever was posted in response (and there are some worth responding to), but I unfortunately do not have that much time...

wait, you expected serious responses?  seriously?

agree that uva, duke and chicago are probably 60% liberal or so.  disagree on harvard.  boalt, nyu probably close to 95% liberal.