Law School Discussion

Which schools are right and left wing in the T1

South

Re: Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 12:49:38 AM »
Keep in mind that at some point, extremism gets so far from the mainstream that few intelligent people hold those views.

I was waiting for this. It is 100% on the money. There are some views one ought not be tolerant of because they do come from ignorance. (For an example, see the flat-earth society)
I don't think right wing polticis are very far from this line, as most peopel know, the more educated people are more liberal as a group than the general population, and probably for very good reason.

Alright, this flat earth society is an extreme fringe example. On the other end of the spectrum, lets look at the more popular and liberal 'views' that are based in ignorance--e.g. communism. I guess human nature shouldn't be taken into consideration when setting up an entire system of governance. Utopia is realistic and practical.

As for the education remark. More republicans hold college degrees than democrats. The caveat her is that once a person starts adding on additional graduate degrees, phds, etc. they become MUCH more liberal--as more democrats have graduate degrees than republicans. Sitting in a library or college office all day--for a majority of your life--isn't going to give you the most practical or realistic viewpoint on life (see communism).

I have no problem with the notion that fringe ideology on either side should not be tolerated, but to say right wing politics are closer to some arbitrary line of ignorance is absurd.

t...

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2007, 12:36:15 PM »
Are you still pushing this tripe?

How's your personal statement coming, newsie?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 12:57:56 PM »
When people become educated they tend to become liberal.

If you want to surround yourself with thick-skulled conservatives go to Liberty or something or just forget law school all together.  Smart people = liberals generally speaking.  s**k it.

...sorry I'm pretty hostile towards conservative lawyers after watching the Department of Justice go down in metaphorical flames.  Thanks conservatives.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
Keep in mind that at some point, extremism gets so far from the mainstream that few intelligent people hold those views.

I was waiting for this. It is 100% on the money. There are some views one ought not be tolerant of because they do come from ignorance. (For an example, see the flat-earth society)
I don't think right wing polticis are very far from this line, as most peopel know, the more educated people are more liberal as a group than the general population, and probably for very good reason.

Alright, this flat earth society is an extreme fringe example. On the other end of the spectrum, lets look at the more popular and liberal 'views' that are based in ignorance--e.g. communism. I guess human nature shouldn't be taken into consideration when setting up an entire system of governance. Utopia is realistic and practical.

As for the education remark. More republicans hold college degrees than democrats. The caveat her is that once a person starts adding on additional graduate degrees, phds, etc. they become MUCH more liberal--as more democrats have graduate degrees than republicans. Sitting in a library or college office all day--for a majority of your life--isn't going to give you the most practical or realistic viewpoint on life (see communism).

I have no problem with the notion that fringe ideology on either side should not be tolerated, but to say right wing politics are closer to some arbitrary line of ignorance is absurd.

Communism is a popular liberal "view"? I think your problem is that you have no sense of what constitutes the mainstream in American politics.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »
In his defense, he was saying that communism is more popular than the flat earth society (which is certainly true)

A few points:

* I do think you beg far too many questions to simply say that communism dismisses human nature and is therefore an ignorant ideal to have.

* I would argue that the problem with communism is the necessity for coercion to enforce the economic system, which in turn necessitates authoritarianism, which in turn results in despotic governance.

* I disagree that there is such a thing as human nature.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 07:45:44 PM »
[family guy reference]

Oh Reginold...

I disagree

[/family guy reference]

I actually don't think I imply any sort of human nature with my statements.

Example:
If you want a collective farm, you must find people to work on the farm.
Suppose more people are needed to work on the farm than want to work on the farm.
If that happens, under communism, you need the state to step in and force some people to work on the collective farm because there is nothing else to force them to do so.

It does not require that people be inherently economically maximizing (or inherently anything) for this difficulty to come up. People may have a wide variety of reasons why they would prefer not to work on the farm, but the fact remains that some people need to be coerced into doing it.

The problem of coercion happens in a capitalistic society as well, but market forces allow for far less governmental intervention in creating a solution.

"Human Nature" is an easy term to equivocate. You could say that I am wrong because it is human nature to to have a heart and lungs. Yes, all humans have a heart and lungs, but that's not what I am talking about.
When I spoke about human nature, I really meant human nature in the ethical sense. (Because that is what the first person was talking about when they said "human nature")

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
There is a very strong conservative presence at Harvard.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 08:07:15 PM »
What I'm saying is that if people don't want to work on the farm, and the state has to force them to do so, the people don't find it value maximizing; if they did, they would work on the farm without coercion, right?

By value, do you mean utility? I can concede that most people will choose to work where they perceive they will derive maximum utility, but I do not concede that all do. There are some, strange, strange minds out there. Either way, it says little about ethical human nature.

The original person was assuming that communism fails because human nature is not altruistic. I was trying to show that the failures are not necessarily contingent on the ethics of the workers.

Oh well...

Back to the real task...

IMPEACH BUSH !!!111!!!!!!!
DOWN WITH CAPITALISM !!!11!!!
SHAVE THE WHALES !!!!!111!!!!11!!!
 :P

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 09:15:13 PM »
George Mason- with an emphasis on economics
Brigham Young- mormon
Princeton review says
   1 Regent University            
   2 Ave Maria School of Law            
   3 Brigham Young University            
   4 George Mason University            
   5 University of Notre Dame            
   6 Louisiana State University            
   7 University of Alabama            
   8 Campbell University            
   9 Texas Tech University            
   10 The University of Mississippi            

some more of those are T1.  Notre Dame is the highest ranked.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:16 AM »

You know why this is (that generally those who continue to educated themselves become sooo liberal)...because after the right wing thinkers get educated, they go out and make the world work and cause society to progress....leftists on the other hand soon realize after graduation that their paradigms and ideas are completely ridiculous in the real world, and so many of them retreat back in academia, and never wanting to leave they eventually become profs (well, some become transient weed smoking hippies who frequent green peace protests). Unfortunately what has happened is that while the pragmatic conservatives have been making this the greatest country in the world for the past few decades (like Reagan for example), the leftists have done all but take over our universities and thereby have been able to proselytize a disproportionate percentage of young minds to adopt their liberal (and sometimes crazy ultra liberal) positions....and now look what is happening in America...

...Now in America we want to dialogue with evil dictators who begin their public speeches with chants like "Death to America" instead of blowing their ass off this planet (I mean what we really should do is TALK more with Iran, because they are obviously rational...and then if that doesn't work maybe we can just take another vote at the UN the problem will simply go away) Would if we would have handled Hitler this way?....And we want to give illegal immigrants driver's licenses for goodness sake (eg.in NYC...you'd think since 9/11 was in NYC they would see the national security risk in doing something like this) instead of doing the obvious and sending them home so they can wait in line with all the law abiding people who are going through proper channels to get into America. No instead we throw our border guards in jail for trying to stop them from crossing...
... Now in America we put our soldiers on trial for being too rough on the terrorists they are interrogating. (After all we don't want to insult their culture by making them take their clothes off and pouring water on them....especially when they are sooo humane to those of us they catch...yes we should shut down Guantanamo and down play how they brutally torture, parade, and then behead our reporters and POW's on the internet.)
...Yes, in America we champion the cause of humane treatment to all... as we fight for and applaud things like partial birth abortion (the baby is half out for f**k sake, and then the doctor kills it by sticking something in its head...I mean what sick individual dreamed that up. At that point why not at least give the baby up for adoption...That's right, the leftist agena is making America a better place...KILL BABIES! SAVE WHALES!)

Anyways, I'm ranting now which I realize solves nothing (generally I prefer open minded dialogue with other open minded people), but I thought a rant would be more fitting as it would allow me to fit in with my passionate leftist counterparts on this post)