Law School Discussion

Which schools are right and left wing in the T1

• View Profile
Re: Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 12:33:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking the people that need to be surrounded by others of a similar political slant should probably stay away from law school. For the sake of the profession, at least...

It's not a need, just a want. But I think the profession is served best when the education is balanced, which in my opinion happens less and less the more a school becomes overwhelmingly left.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:55 PM »
just check the size of the federalist society at the schools.

I'm sure at Columbia it's reasonably large.  As for cheering the Iranian president, any school with social science PhD programs is as much out of touch with reality.

That actually is a good idea...thanks.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
just check the size of the federalist society at the schools.

I'm sure at Columbia it's reasonably large.  As for cheering the Iranian president, any school with social science PhD programs is as much out of touch with reality.

That actually is a good idea...thanks.

first of all, this is a pretty lame thread.  choosing a law school based on the margin of political theory that you enjoy most is simply ridiculous.

however, if this is your goal in choosing a law school, you will more likely find what you want by looking that the administration and faculty members.  They are the individuals who "guide" the law school, and thus they will have a significant impact.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
I would say any top school will have a good selection of faculty on both the right and the left. Although G-town is known as being very liberal, one of the profs was the main architect of the patriot act. If you want a conservative experience, you can find it.

kirchner

• Yes, that is a Promise Keepers t-shirt.
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
Piggy-Poo, you missed my point entirely...

With politics nowadays, missing the point entirely is par for the course.  The idea to check membership levels with more conservative campus groups is a great one.  You may even want to contact members of such clubs.  I bet they'd give you straight answers on the climate at their schools. 

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at the *&^% you've received for writing this post.  If it weren't a forgone conclusion that law schools tend to be left-leaning, the same people who berated you might be asking similar questions.  So much for respecting diversity of thought.

South

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 07:05:32 PM »
It all depends on what how your own political spectrum is exactly aligned--mine tends to be slightly right. With that said, your best bets for conservative top ten schools are UVA, Duke and Chicago--I've also heard that Harvard isn't totally intolerant.

Schools I would stay away from--and I plan on staying away from--are Penn, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Boalt.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with wanting to surround yourself in an environment that will be TOLERANT of your views. Political divergence is great--in fact I love the arguments that come from such differences--but the problem arises when those in the political majority are intolerant of the minority. I have found this intolerance from the political left my entire academic career. There seems to be a belief within the academic left that anyone not aligned with their views is "ignorant" and therefore downright incorrect.

UVA is probably the most conservative, fiscally and culturally (I make this distinction because Chicago's conservatism seems to be solely fiscal).

I have family/friends who are UVA Law alums, and there is a consensus that all respectable law schools are left leaning, but that UVA is the most conservative of them all. There is also a thought that this conservatism hurts them in the rankings/recruiting certain students and faculty. Since, academia is--on a whole--left-of-center, some alums think UVA is discriminatd against for their more conservative bent.

Anyway, hope this helps. 

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
It all depends on what how your own political spectrum is exactly aligned--mine tends to be slightly right. With that said, your best bets for conservative top ten schools are UVA, Duke and Chicago--I've also heard that Harvard isn't totally intolerant.

Schools I would stay away from--and I plan on staying away from--are Penn, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Boalt.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with wanting to surround yourself in an environment that will be TOLERANT of your views. Political divergence is great--in fact I love the arguments that come from such differences--but the problem arises when those in the political majority are intolerant of the minority. I have found this intolerance from the political left my entire academic career. There seems to be a belief within the academic left that anyone not aligned with their views is "ignorant" and therefore downright incorrect.

UVA is probably the most conservative, fiscally and culturally (I make this distinction because Chicago's conservatism seems to be solely fiscal).

I have family/friends who are UVA Law alums, and there is a consensus that all respectable law schools are left leaning, but that UVA is the most conservative of them all. There is also a thought that this conservatism hurts them in the rankings/recruiting certain students and faculty. Since, academia is--on a whole--left-of-center, some alums think UVA is discriminatd against for their more conservative bent.

Anyway, hope this helps. 

I would take Duke out of there. There are a fair number of conservatives, certainly, but overall the university (and law school) is very liberal. I mean, the law school has the premiere journal on gender law. We have (for the rest of this year, anyways) Chemerinsky. Our dean was appointed to the bench by George H.W. Bush, yes, but he's very moderate. I don't think the school as an instutition really has a political bent at all (I don't think many schools do, even if individual professors tend one way or the other) but the student body is more liberal than conservative.

Plus, it seems that the OP is looking for a school that is far to the right ideologically. I mean, he wants to go to a school where professors don't think the U.N. is a good thing? Keep in mind that at some point, extremism gets so far from the mainstream that few intelligent people hold those views.

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
Of the 20 classes I've taken at UVa, none of the professors have ever said anything overtly conservative as far as I recall. They're all either liberal or politically silent. I don't think there is any school where there are no Republican students. I would guess that places like NYU and Berkeley are a little more liberal but probably not enough to warrant factoring it in to your decision. The UVa students are distinctly more frat-like but I wouldn't mistake that for being politically conservative.

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 11:38:08 PM »
Keep in mind that at some point, extremism gets so far from the mainstream that few intelligent people hold those views.

I was waiting for this. It is 100% on the money. There are some views one ought not be tolerant of because they do come from ignorance. (For an example, see the flat-earth society)
I don't think right wing polticis are very far from this line, as most peopel know, the more educated people are more liberal as a group than the general population, and probably for very good reason.

Butters Stotch

• Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 11:57:08 PM »
But, if political affiliation is the MAIN criterion you'd use to distinguish schools, my suggestion stands.  Go to Liberty or Regent.  HTFH.

:)
QFT