Law School Discussion

Which schools are right and left wing in the T1

• View Profile
Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »
Which T1 schools are more right leaning and which are left. I don't want to go to a school that is sooo left wing that I'll be the only Republican in sight. So far I think NYU and Columbia are out, and Virginia is in....anyone else have any ideas on the other T1 schools.

t...

• View Profile
Re: Which schools are right and left wing in the T1
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:09 PM »
Wait, you think that Columbia is a left-leaning law school?

Lol.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:18:58 PM »
...from what I saw on the Glenn Beck show...oh my goodness, YES!!! They were cheering for the president of Iran through parts of his speech (although not all of it of course). Then when they brought in a speaker to represent those who oppose islamofascism (on a different date) the students rioted and wouldn't even let the guy speak. Instead, they started chanting and eventually ripped apart the stage and the speaker had to be protected by security before he even said a word. So much for free speech and being open to opposing opinions. I think that is a disgrace to America and everything we should hold dear. It scares me that people like are likely future leaders in our country....anyways, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care where that school could take my career, nor do I care about the pretige of it's rankings. I don't want to be associated with that kind of bs.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »
That last comment was about Columbia....

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
You might try Liberty and Regent.  In fact, you should.   :)

Hey, if they were top 10 schools you wouldn't be laughing...you'd be applying there.

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
...from what I saw on the Glenn Beck show...oh my goodness, YES!!! They were cheering for the president of Iran through parts of his speech (although not all of it of course). Then when they brought in a speaker to represent those who oppose islamofascism (on a different date) the students rioted and wouldn't even let the guy speak. Instead, they started chanting and eventually ripped apart the stage and the speaker had to be protected by security before he even said a word. So much for free speech and being open to opposing opinions. I think that is a disgrace to America and everything we should hold dear. It scares me that people like are likely future leaders in our country....anyways, as far as I'm concerned, I don't care where that school could take my career, nor do I care about the pretige of it's rankings. I don't want to be associated with that kind of bs.

Umm...

Glenn Beck...

Have you ever watched/listened to him and started counting the logical fallacies in his arguments? I am not talking about factual inaccuracies or any particular disagreement I have with what he says, but the man borders on incoherent if you peel away the empty rhetoric. His entire show is essentially an ad hominem against a straw man.

Also...

Judicial/Legal conservatism != Conservatism as is commonly understood. One could be a raving Scalia devotee and be a flaming liberal at the same time. I find MANY people in law school do not fit well within the commonly understood liberal/conservative framework.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 02:56:56 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking the people that need to be surrounded by others of a similar political slant should probably stay away from law school. For the sake of the profession, at least...

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 02:58:48 AM »
...But to answer your question, I think at all law schools you'll find that the population all leans slightly to the left, but you won't have a problem finding anybody who shares your political beliefs.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »

Hey, if they were top 10 schools you wouldn't be laughing...you'd be applying there.

Oh, now "Top 10" is a criterion!

My ultraliberal top 10 has republicans.  In fact, one guy I rather like and respect and enjoy talking to has worked in fund raising for republicans for several years.  He worked on the 2004 Bush campaign and is currently attached to the Giulliani campaign.

Even my ultraliberal top 10 has an active federalist society.

But, if political affiliation is the MAIN criterion you'd use to distinguish schools, my suggestion stands.  Go to Liberty or Regent.  HTFH.

:)

Piggy-Poo, you missed my point entirely...I never said the top 10 were liberal (my guess is that some are more left leaning and some are more right leaning...I don't know, hence the post, although I'd actually like to know for all of the T1), but to suggest I go to a tier 4 is pretty ignorant and smug (as though all right leaning people should be relegated to the basement of the profession.) And who ever said anything about that being the MAIN criterion...ya, you made that up too (probably just an attempt to deride the notion that the topic should even be given consideration).

Why I made this post was I simply am not interested in going to another school where balance is no longer tolerated in favor of the perferred leftist agenda of the majority of profs and students...already done that...(sick of hearing about how great the UN is and how bad it is to American and pro Israel). I'd rather go to law school where the ratio isn't 95 to 1 in any given class in favor of the left. (like it was in my last school...Well ok, maybe 95 to 4 or 5).

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 12:29:31 PM »

Umm...

Glenn Beck...

Have you ever watched/listened to him and started counting the logical fallacies in his arguments? I am not talking about factual inaccuracies or any particular disagreement I have with what he says, but the man borders on incoherent if you peel away the empty rhetoric. His entire show is essentially an ad hominem against a straw man.

Maybe you're right about Glenn Beck, but I was simply responding to what I saw on the video, which was simply an amatuer video of someone who recorded what happened.