Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Still don't have one LOR yet....  (Read 1455 times)

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - roger_76@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Still don't have one LOR yet....
« on: September 27, 2004, 07:37:02 PM »
Am I hopelessly late?

And I have only asked one prof so far....my skin is so thin......

:'( :-\

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Still don't have one LOR yet....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 07:39:17 PM »
I think it's ok if you dont' have one in your file yet.  But definitely suck it up and ask for that second rec.  They need time to write it, and as it's already October, who knows how long they'll take, how long lsac needs to process, and all that dumb stuff.

LORs are the part of the app process over which you have the least amount of control.  At least start the ball rolling early enough so you can avoid as many problems as possible.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 07:44:03 PM »
Thanks Jacy.

Good luck on saturday!

[i'm taking it as well....]

:)

LongTallVal

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »
You're not alone!  I have not gotten either of my LORs in yet (and I asked my first prof back in July!) and my second prof is going to write one this weekend.  If you think it will help, you could send an email saying something to the effect of "Since I am applying early to several schools, I hope to have my file complete with your letter by (give a date)."  That way they know that you are hoping they are timely with your letter in a non-obnoxious way, even if you aren't necessarily applying ED/EA etc.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 10:31:27 PM »
Thanks LTV  :)

I'm gonna stick it up and ask another prof tomorrow.

I have to get this done.  :(

DOWNY

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 02:06:59 AM »
clone,
You've been down with DOWNY since day one. I'll write you a letter. I'm as serious as AIDS.

Tobias Beecher

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:54:33 AM »
clone,
You've been down with DOWNY since day one. I'll write you a letter. I'm as serious as AIDS.

Thanks DOWNY!

Really appreciate that.

[hopefully that'll get me into the U]  ;)

ginthailand

• I'll take the case...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »
Someone on another thread stated that the signed LOR can be faxed to LSAC along with the LSAC recommendation form.  Has anyone actually had their recommender fax the LOR?  I'd like to know before I tell my final, procrastinating recommender to fax the damn thing instead of mailing it.

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein." - Justice Robert Jackson

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 11:47:35 AM »
I think it's ok if you dont' have one in your file yet.  But definitely suck it up and ask for that second rec.  They need time to write it, and as it's already October, who knows how long they'll take, how long lsac needs to process, and all that dumb stuff.

It's advice like that which makes people freak out!  Psst.  It's only September and will be for several days more.  Why rush to make the person seem even more behind?  Bad form!

Just get on the ball, ask for the req and give the person everyhting they need to turn it around quickly.  Also, make sure to follow up to make sure they don't need anything more and have gotten your previous stuff. 
-A

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 12:05:27 PM »
I meant to write it's almost October...sorry!  But the point was that why wait on something you don't have control over?  I'm not saying clone should run out, finish all his apps, overnight them to schools, and request his recommenders do the same.

I'm just saying if he knows who he wants to ask, but hasn't yet because of his thin skin, to use his phrase, then he should suck it up and get moving, especially if he's asking professors.  The beginning of the semester is probalby the least busy for them, as once midterms, papers and finals start, a prof's time gets more and more limited.

I don't know what his goal is for sending out his apps, but if he wants them in by the end of December, it'd be beneficial if his LORs were in by Thanksgiving (a month to get written, sent in, and 2+ weeks for processing, since lsac seems to be getting slower as time goes on)