Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Like Cups  (Read 1667 times)

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Asking for Merit Fee Waivers
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 04:37:17 PM »
Who knows? There's been some very clear cases where people have been rejected from schools based on their info posted on LSN, to what degree they read these forums I can only guess, but the more it's brought to their attention the more interested they will get for example.

The big bad thing about adcoms reading this stuff and LSN is that they might start some very selective yield protection. Anyway, I've had no bad consequences of my presence here or on LSN, but I've talked to several who has and at least on one occasion the LSN information was mentioned explicitly from the adcom he talked to.

You're making me paranoid.  Thanks.

What kind of LSN info could cause a rejection?  That site seems harmless.

And how is this thread "inviting" adcomms over here? 

I don't know how much I believe they actually do it...but in theory if they can figure out who is who they would know who to accept and who to reject in order to protect their yields.  I'm just paranoid enough that I messed with my GPA a touch on LSN to make it tougher to find me quickly, although if they read my profile it would be easy to figure out who I am.  I don't fantasize that I'm so special that adcomms are going to be searching for me though.

Wouldn't they need to know an applicant's school preferences in order to do that though?  If a school started rejecting those who got into a higher-ranked school or something of that nature, they'd risk losing applicants who genuinely preferred their school.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 05:15:43 PM »
Who knows? There's been some very clear cases where people have been rejected from schools based on their info posted on LSN, to what degree they read these forums I can only guess, but the more it's brought to their attention the more interested they will get for example.

The big bad thing about adcoms reading this stuff and LSN is that they might start some very selective yield protection. Anyway, I've had no bad consequences of my presence here or on LSN, but I've talked to several who has and at least on one occasion the LSN information was mentioned explicitly from the adcom he talked to.

I don't know how much I believe they actually do it...but in theory if they can figure out who is who they would know who to accept and who to reject in order to protect their yields.  I'm just paranoid enough that I messed with my GPA a touch on LSN to make it tougher to find me quickly, although if they read my profile it would be easy to figure out who I am.  I don't fantasize that I'm so special that adcomms are going to be searching for me though.

Wouldn't they need to know an applicant's school preferences in order to do that though?  If a school started rejecting those who got into a higher-ranked school or something of that nature, they'd risk losing applicants who genuinely preferred their school.

LSN allows you to rank the schools in your list.  Different people order them differently; some will put the school's actual rank while others (most) will rank them in the order of their preference should they be accepted.  Also, it would be easy for some schools to see if a person is applying to several other higher ranked schools.  This might lead them to assume they were being applied to as a safety. Heck, some schools will already deny over-qualified candidates from far away based on this very assumption. 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

Shark Week

• Sr. Citizen
  • officially a Michigan troll now
    • View Profile
Re: I Like Cups
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 06:14:44 PM »
This was the only good thread Tetris has ever made. I can't believe you guys got him to delete it.
Michigan '11

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Re: I Like Cups
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 06:16:23 PM »
what about the cups?

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »

LSN allows you to rank the schools in your list.  Different people order them differently; some will put the school's actual rank while others (most) will rank them in the order of their preference should they be accepted.  Also, it would be easy for some schools to see if a person is applying to several other higher ranked schools.  This might lead them to assume they were being applied to as a safety. Heck, some schools will already deny over-qualified candidates from far away based on this very assumption. 

Even though I am not "over-qualified" at any school that I've applied to, I still worry about being YPed. But I think that as along as you don't do something crazy like badmouthing the school or being a total a-hole on the boards, you should be okay. There are plenty of people who didn't bother to conceal their identity and still had great cycles last year (prolesurge from LSD, DelDad and Britt2010 from TLS just to name a few). 
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 06:55:09 AM »

Mainly in terms of yield protection I expect. You can rank your schools on LSN, and if the adcom finds you and can see that you have clear preferences over their school that you are likely to get into they might ding you to pretty up their stats. I don't know to what degree this happens. I've been exceptionally un-paranoid both here and on LSN, and nothing bad has happened to me because of it. I'd think it's a one in a million chance it'd be used against you.