Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Like Cups  (Read 1637 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
I Like Cups
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »
I am deleting the original thread because some are getting offended by it.
_______
.|E|R|S.

joyce615

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Asking for Merit Fee Waivers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:54:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice Tetris. I have only gotten one FW from one of the schools on my list (WUSTL) and it does not look I will be getting any more. Should I only be emailing schools for FW where I have a better chance of getting in?

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »
General question:  How do you generally address the admissions committee?

i.e. Dear Michigan Admissions Committee? To whom it may concern?  etc.

Well the email doesn't go to the admissions committee it goes to some secretary in the admissions office, I'm guessing.

I didn't address it to anyone.  I just said "hello" and introduced myself right off that bat.

Thanks for the advice Tetris. I have only gotten one FW from one of the schools on my list (WUSTL) and it does not look I will be getting any more. Should I only be emailing schools for FW where I have a better chance of getting in?

NO.  Ask for fee waivers at places where you have a *chance* at getting in.  The application fees are really there to discourage every Joe (or "Joyce") with a 155 from applying to Boalt and Harvard.  Not necessarily that dramatized but you get the picture.  If your  numbers would make you at all competitive for the school I'd say ask for the FW.  I asked Michigan for one even though I'm only 25% likely to be admitted according to the LSAC data calculator. 
_______
.|E|R|S.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 10:19:10 AM »
Yeah, thanks for inviting adcom members over here, so we have to be even yet more cautious about what we write and how well we protect our privacy. That's f-ing great.

iLukeisamazing

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Yeah, thanks for inviting adcom members over here, so we have to be even yet more cautious about what we write and how well we protect our privacy. That's f-ing great.

How prevalent is their presence here?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »
Who knows? There's been some very clear cases where people have been rejected from schools based on their info posted on LSN, to what degree they read these forums I can only guess, but the more it's brought to their attention the more interested they will get for example.

The big bad thing about adcoms reading this stuff and LSN is that they might start some very selective yield protection. Anyway, I've had no bad consequences of my presence here or on LSN, but I've talked to several who has and at least on one occasion the LSN information was mentioned explicitly from the adcom he talked to.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
The fees are there to cover administrative costs. If top schools could increase the number of applicants by thousands then their acceptance rate would plummet, which would greatly help their USNEWS ranking.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18:39 AM »
Who knows? There's been some very clear cases where people have been rejected from schools based on their info posted on LSN, to what degree they read these forums I can only guess, but the more it's brought to their attention the more interested they will get for example.

The big bad thing about adcoms reading this stuff and LSN is that they might start some very selective yield protection. Anyway, I've had no bad consequences of my presence here or on LSN, but I've talked to several who has and at least on one occasion the LSN information was mentioned explicitly from the adcom he talked to.

You're making me paranoid.  Thanks.

What kind of LSN info could cause a rejection?  That site seems harmless.

And how is this thread "inviting" adcomms over here? 
_______
.|E|R|S.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 03:26:55 PM »

You're making me paranoid.  Thanks.

What kind of LSN info could cause a rejection?  That site seems harmless.

And how is this thread "inviting" adcomms over here? 

I don't know how much I believe they actually do it...but in theory if they can figure out who is who they would know who to accept and who to reject in order to protect their yields.  I'm just paranoid enough that I messed with my GPA a touch on LSN to make it tougher to find me quickly, although if they read my profile it would be easy to figure out who I am.  I don't fantasize that I'm so special that adcomms are going to be searching for me though.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

jason_perrlx

• Sr. Citizen
  • Betrayed by Dot. Plotting revenge.
    • View Profile
Re: I Like Cups
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »
which kind(s) of cups?