6 (15.8%)
1 Month - 3 Months
 14 (36.8%)
3 Months - 1 Year
 16 (42.1%)
Over a Year
 1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: How Long Did You Study for the LSAT?  (Read 1485 times)

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
How Long Did You Study for the LSAT?
« on: November 01, 2007, 08:07:13 AM »
If you're comfortable, post your score as well.  I'm just curious.  I told someone that I studied for an entire summer before the Sept. LSAT and they immediately responded: "You're kidding, right?  That's WAY too long."
Yep.

RiddledBasins

• View Profile
Re: How Long Did You Study for the LSAT?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:37:09 AM »
What score did that person get? 

There are some people who can get away with studying for a month and then killing the test.  Not me though, I had to put in a solid 3 months to get my score.  Well, acutally, I was scoring higher after 2 months, but I was more consistent after 3.

I also know someone who spent 2 years studying for the test but couldn't crack 50th percentile.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »
11 weeks. 173. About 15 hrs / week. This was highly focused study though. After being out of school for so long, I enjoyed it in a weird way.

For me, that was about right. I was really feeling some burnout the last 10 days or so.

CrnchyCereal

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 11:18:13 AM »
About 15-16 weeks of studying, though the first 5-6 weeks were pretty laid back with at most 4-5 hours a week.  About two months out is when I really started to kick myself in the ass with about 20 hours a week of studying.

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 11:21:28 AM »
I honestly think anything over 3 months is pushing it.
Michigan 2L

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
Tagged. Good topic and motivator

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »
I honestly think anything over 3 months is pushing it.

Maybe to you, but I don't think it is pushing it. I studied only a month and half for the September LSAT and got a crap score, I plan on retaking it in June, which gives me a little over 7 months to keep studying and I think it will be worth it.

jamie9

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
about 4 months, 3 months for maybe 10 hours a week, 3-4 weeks intensively (~5 hours a day)

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 02:41:55 PM »
About 2 1/2 months but not very intensively.  I would study a day here, a day there.  I also took a good week to 10 days (can't remember exactly how long) off in the middle of it.  I think I might have squeaked out a 170 if I had studied harder but I'll tell you after the cycle is over if I really regret that or not.

Oh, I got a 167.  I was averaging 169-172 just before the test.  My very first cold test was a 163.  (if all of that info helps anyone)
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

areopagite

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:25 PM »
I only had three weeks from the time I decided to have a crack at law school and the Sept 07 test.  I practiced an average of 3-4 hours a day.  But I had also been studying or teaching logic for the last few years and that *seriously* helped me.

I agree with saradsun, I found the challenge rather exciting.
John Dewey on standardized tests:

"It reminds me of how we weighed pigs on my grandfather's farm.  You lay a board over a fence, put the pig on one end and pile rocks on the other.  Then you guess how much the rocks weigh."