Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn 2L taking q's  (Read 3964 times)

pennjd

• View Profile
Re: Penn 2L taking q's
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »
Check out the rep ratings -- Mich and UVa are both consistently rated a couple points above Penn.

In fact, Mich is usually rated closer to Yale than to Penn, and Penn is usually rated closer to GULC than to Michigan. 

Even Boalt is rated above Penn.

That's what the people who know think.

Ah yes, the mysterious rep scores.  Luckily Penn has more to hang their hat on than some cryptic composite score.  Penn is superior in student quality, facilities, and most importantly...career prospects.  I know at Penn I will end up at a V100 (and that's if I'd bombed finals). 

hegemonyhog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
I went to undergrad near Penn, and didn't like the personality or aura of the campus, mainly because I felt like everyone there was constantly judging me for not going to Penn, even if I showed up riding the twin shoulders of the Pope and Gandhi handing out free hundred dollar bills with the secret to cold fusion taped to them.

Can a real Penn student convince me that I was wrong?
Accepted: Columbia, Chicago, Michigan, Virginia, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, The Ohio State University

Pending: Yale, Harvard

Please note that the schools are listed entirely in order of US News ranking.

LSN

pennjd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
I went to undergrad near Penn, and didn't like the personality or aura of the campus, mainly because I felt like everyone there was constantly judging me for not going to Penn, even if I showed up riding the twin shoulders of the Pope and Gandhi handing out free hundred dollar bills with the secret to cold fusion taped to them.

Can a real Penn student convince me that I was wrong?

We respect all students and the institutions they choose to attend.  Penn students are extremely proud of our status as an elite school.  We aren't stuck up or prone to judge, we are just proud.  Hopefully that helps.   

Scribner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
Also, Penn is located in the middle of the eastern seaboard so our graduates place in the most important markets. 

And here is where this becomes the worst flame ever.

Not sure what you have against Penn, but I'm on board. A drearier place I have not been.

pennjd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
Also, Penn is located in the middle of the eastern seaboard so our graduates place in the most important markets. 

And here is where this becomes the worst flame ever.

Not sure what you have against Penn, but I'm on board. A drearier place I have not been.

I've heard the dreary comment a few times so I will address this.  I believe that the "dreary" feeling is typical of an elite institution.  It may feel dreary but I feel that the abundence of scholarship taking place lets off a certain feeling.

right now

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »
Goalie, we've actually talked on this board before.  I'm posting anonymously so that I can give a truthful view of how things really are.  With all due respect, I can see why you don't feel that Ivy status and history are important (It is hard to think that while attending Boalt  Since you actually turned down Ivy schools to attend Boalt). 

fixt.

pennjd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
Goalie, we've actually talked on this board before.  I'm posting anonymously so that I can give a truthful view of how things really are.  With all due respect, I can see why you don't feel that Ivy status and history are important (It is hard to think that while attending Boalt  Since you actually turned down Ivy schools to attend Boalt). 

fixt.

I realize that Goalie got into some great schools (Boalt itself is a fine institution).  However, I'm just stating that Penn's Ivy status and history put it at a certain level.

right now

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »

fixt.

I realize that Goalie got into some great schools (Boalt itself is a fine institution).  However, I'm just stating that Penn's Ivy status and history put it at a certain level, which is to say a level slightly below some of the schools that Goalie turned down.

fixt.

pennjd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 12:05:23 PM »

fixt.

I realize that Goalie got into some great schools (Boalt itself is a fine institution).  However, I'm just stating that Penn's Ivy status and history put it at a certain level, which is to say a level slightly below some of the schools that Goalie turned down.

fixt.

I question the judgement of someone who turns down superior schools to attend a school where they "fit" better.  I think I speak for most Penn students when I say that we chose Penn for the prestige.

right now

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 12:10:04 PM »

fixt.

fixt.

I question the judgement of someone who turns down superior schools to attend a school where they "fit" better.  I think I speak for most Penn students when I say that we chose Penn for the prestige.

lulz.