Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Report on the UT Forum  (Read 617 times)

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Report on the UT Forum
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
So, today UT held their law school forum. I know some people ask about the value of attending one of these, so I'd thought I'd write up a little report.

A little over 100 schools were represented, from Cooley to Stanford. I heard some people talking about how disappointed they were that Georgetown wasn't there.  From the T14 NYU, Columbia, Michigan, Stanford, Berkley, UVA, Cornell, Duke, UPenn, and UCLA were all present. I spoke with representatives at BC, WashU, UNC, Fordham, UH, UT, and Vanderbilt.

The BC Rep gave me the best answers to my questions (which were fairly standard questions about graduating early and the optional diversity statement), though all of the Reps were very professional and friendly. By the way, until today, the BC website had a typo on it.  Their website listed their median LSAT as a 162, but the handout they were giving out listed it as a 164. I informed the Rep and called the school, and they corrected the error sometime this afternoon.

The thing about law forums is: with all the information on the internet, almost every question you could possibly ask, the answer is probably online. The Reps know you're there to make an impression and get in their heads, but honestly, asking a school where they're located is really not the impression you want to make.

I didn't get a lot out of the forum. If you've done any amount of research, you'll have most of your questions answered. Any additional questions could be fielded by the admission office. The only real value I see in a forum is making that lasting impression that makes the Rep remember you later in the process. Unfortunately, I don't know how feasible it is to accomplish that when there are hundreds of students milling about for hours on end.

Meliss1086

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Report on the UT Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »
What are people's thoughts on bringing your resume to these? Also, any fee waivers for talking to any schools?

My school is having one next week.

The email I got from the school about the forum specifically said "bringing a resume is "unnecessary."
In my opinion, it would have been impractical to have one, and I didn't see anyone with one. There were just too many people there for any Rep to spend time looking over a resume.

I did not ask for fee waivers, so I'm not sure. I know a lot of people do it with success, but I just didn't feel comfortable doing it (which I had though).