Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nontrads, how would you rank my remaining LORs?  (Read 1127 times)

bachja13

• View Profile
Nontrads, how would you rank my remaining LORs?
« on: October 31, 2007, 02:13:41 PM »
I originally thought I'd never be able to come up with LORS (20+ years out of school), but am going to end up with more than I need. I've got two from my current bosses, who couldn't have been more supportive of me going back to school. One from my immediate supervisor and one from the exec who hired me - written from different perspectives. These are relevant for me because I intend to continue working there, go to school P/T and possibly end up in a related field.

I have three others lined up (not yet received) from people in my past who don't know me as well these days. How would you order these, assuming you don't know what they say?

#1 - former supervisor from late 90s who knew me, and remembers me, well. Would write a positive, personal letter from the heart. No major credentials.
#2 - from the same employer but 10 years earlier, someone who mentored me during a 3-year intern program. Said he would write a "short, strong letter." Retired executive, Harvard MBA, etc. He was happy to help, but I imagine it would be tough for him to write anything very personal.
#3 - someone I've known for 15 years (still keep in touch with on-and-off) through a local volunteer/hobby organization that I ran for a couple of years. He actually ended up running the club at the national level. Retired admiral, CEO, Harvard MBA, etc.

I have no idea if I'll end up seeing what they write, but assuming I don't, which two would you send to schools if needed and in which order?

Thanks!

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Nontrads, how would you rank my remaining LORs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:56:48 AM »
I"m getting my LORs from my most recent and second most reason employer/supervisor.  It's been over 7 years since I was in school (aside from a few classes at the Jr.College).  I've read that once you get 5 years out, and moreso the longer out you are, supervisors who can judge your work are the better, but academic still preferred. 

In all though, LORs are the least significant from what I can tell.  I really can't imagine them having much of an impact, especially for a non-trad, unless it's something that really stands out, such as being from a very prominent figure.

MzBubble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:33:53 AM »
I originally thought I'd never be able to come up with LORS (20+ years out of school), but am going to end up with more than I need. I've got two from my current bosses, who couldn't have been more supportive of me going back to school. One from my immediate supervisor and one from the exec who hired me - written from different perspectives. These are relevant for me because I intend to continue working there, go to school P/T and possibly end up in a related field.

I have three others lined up (not yet received) from people in my past who don't know me as well these days. How would you order these, assuming you don't know what they say?

#1 - former supervisor from late 90s who knew me, and remembers me, well. Would write a positive, personal letter from the heart. No major credentials.
#2 - from the same employer but 10 years earlier, someone who mentored me during a 3-year intern program. Said he would write a "short, strong letter." Retired executive, Harvard MBA, etc. He was happy to help, but I imagine it would be tough for him to write anything very personal.
#3 - someone I've known for 15 years (still keep in touch with on-and-off) through a local volunteer/hobby organization that I ran for a couple of years. He actually ended up running the club at the national level. Retired admiral, CEO, Harvard MBA, etc.

I have no idea if I'll end up seeing what they write, but assuming I don't, which two would you send to schools if needed and in which order?

Thanks!

So you have five already?  Many schools to which I've applied ask for no more than 2-3.  You might want to check to see the maximum for your schools, to make sure you're not wasting your time getting any more.

I'm still waiting on two of mine (out of three.)  The one I least expected, a prof from 20 years ago, came through immediately after my asking.  The other two, from friends no less, are taking forever.

bachja13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I ended up with five by accident. I wasn't sure what would happen with my employer before announcing my plan to go back to school, so I reached into my past and dug out the three people listed. My bosses turned out to be very supportive - one agreed to write an LOR and his boss then volunteered to write one from a different perspective. I've submitted both plus #2 - he didn't give me a copy, but from all the questions he asked I think he was able to put together something good. His is the closest I have to an academic LOR - the intern program involved coursework, a thesis, oral exam, etc. and he himself went back to school later in life. A couple of the schools will take a fourth, so I'll use one of the others. I'm sure it doesn't really matter.