Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: -  (Read 7506 times)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Singles Scene like in Law School?
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 05:26:22 AM »
Where do you go to take an IQ test?  I've always been very curious.  I called the psychology department at my school and they said they only do it if there's a legitimate counseling reason.  Where else can you go?

Mensa's tests would probably be a good place to start. They administer tests 3-4 times a year in a lot of locations.

Your original argument was you couldnt distinguish between them and I disagreed in the strongest terms with this. As I said before tho I readily concede intelligence isnt some magical thign that boosts yoru ability to be interesting in conversations. Real life experience and a unique world-view help here.

No, my original statement was that you wouldn't spot the difference in an everyday conversation. That is, typical small talk, friend to friend dialog. But even for more technical topics, you're more likely to notice their difference in education not in IQ.

MENSA tests are a joke.  The ceiling on them is around 140, I dont think I missed a single question.

Also, they dont tell you a score, just whether you "passed"

They do over here at least. And yes, all correct = 140, 1 error = 136, 2 errors = 132. At least that was the scale on the test I took. 132 was the minimum requirement for admission to Mensa I believe. Although being a joke for not scaling over 140... Well. That's not a joke for about 99.3% of the population, so how about you go ace the Mensa test first and if you're still confident you can do better, take a SB5, Otis-Lennon or DAS or whatever.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
I would think anyone who passed the 4th grade would be able to "place in the 98th %ile" 

I have to disagree here. At my firm I deal with many people who have a high school education or less. I can usually tell exactly with whom I am dealing within a few sentances. It is hard to have a conversation with many of them, and almost impossible to explain the legal process thay are going through.

That being said, one of the most brilliant and interesting men I have ever met dropped out of school when her was 16 to become a folk singer.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

daemonsan

• Segue
    • AOL Instant Messenger - daemonsan
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 09:46:42 AM »
This is not bragging, but I want to say something about Mensa in general and their ceiling. They exist solely because people want to feel like they are somehow special or better than someone else. Now, a lot of groups are like this and I would say it is a very common trait in people. Everyone wants to be unique, which is silly because you can't help but be unique, and far too many people want to feel like they are better than others (or already do and are just looking for independent verification of what they've suspected all along)

I, personally, have broken the 140 on my IQ tests since I started receiving them (every school I've went to seems to want to run them, or request that my mother get it done... they also asked my mother to get me a CAT scan, so tha says about how much they know about medicine or psychology in general) but that doesn't mean anything, hell lookit my numbers  ::)
3.0 UGPA (3.08-3.1 expected at Graduation)
LSAT: 163
URM - Mex./Cau.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=daemonsan

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »
This is not bragging, but I want to say something about Mensa in general and their ceiling. They exist solely because people want to feel like they are somehow special or better than someone else. Now, a lot of groups are like this and I would say it is a very common trait in people. Everyone wants to be unique, which is silly because you can't help but be unique, and far too many people want to feel like they are better than others (or already do and are just looking for independent verification of what they've suspected all along)

I, personally, have broken the 140 on my IQ tests since I started receiving them (every school I've went to seems to want to run them, or request that my mother get it done... they also asked my mother to get me a CAT scan, so tha says about how much they know about medicine or psychology in general) but that doesn't mean anything, hell lookit my numbers  ::)

I agree, and I don't think anyone yet has disagreed with any of this :)

daemonsan

• Segue
    • AOL Instant Messenger - daemonsan
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »
Just wanting to lay that down, since IQ has been mentioned more than once. It's all we have but it's worthless, good times.
3.0 UGPA (3.08-3.1 expected at Graduation)
LSAT: 163
URM - Mex./Cau.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=daemonsan

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »
It all about what you do with your intelligence. It's just part of what CAN make a person more interesting.

I was on a flight from London to NYC sitting next to my city's Public Defender. He says he gets hundreds of applications, but only the people that seem interesting (or are damn persistant) get interviews... doesn't really have anyhting to do with dating, just food for thought. 
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
Yeah, definitely. If you prep a lot you can make it to T14 Matthies.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »
I keep seeing "140 IQ" and thinking "ouch!  bottom 15% percentile..." but no.  It's just the LSAT #s making me think anything less than a 165 IQ is "sub par".   :D
_______
.|E|R|S.

traffic777

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2008, 12:09:23 PM »
speak from experience.  doesn't matter where.

is it Upper West Side-esque, because people are too busy?  or is it like your usual undergrad environment?

are you disappointed, say, by the galvanization of singles at bars and taken people at the library on Friday nights?

Where do students find casual sex mostly?
3.95/162
137(c), 147(d1)...5months later... low 160s
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=traffic777