Law School Discussion

-

daemonsan

• Segue
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What's the Singles Scene like in Law School?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »
One could, I whole-heartedly believe, have more control over their appearance than their personality or intelligence. Therefore, choosing to date women on the basis of physical beauty can be construed as seeking a personality-type that strives for self-improvement, a trait I, as most people I assume, consider admirable. Since, as they say, you can't fix stupid, it's best to focus on the things you can improve!

;D

There is a lot one can do appearance wise. Estee Laurder and BCBG can do wonders for how a girl looks. And while I admit georgous Rob Lowe looking guys do turn my head, I am completely turned on by a man who stives to expand his mind and intellect.

Hmm, my only issue with that, is that I believe (and enough of my degree professors have expounded) that intelligence is relatively static. Now, you can certainly learn new ways to think, argumentative techniques, facts and philosophies. At the end of the day, though, you still have to run it through the same static funnel [intelligence]. Now, if you could change make that funnel bigger, awesome, but instead your just organizing the flow better but you still have an upper-limit. Whereas, aesthetically, that upper-limit is constantly increasing with new techniques, surgeries etc.

I like to think of it like a computer, intelligence that is, you can upgrade all your bits-n-bobs, more RAM, new logic boards, faster pipelines, new standards but if your processor stays the same, you'll bottleneck and never pass a certain point.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »
Well, you can be the smartest person in the world and sit on your bootie and do nothing about it. Which, for me, is totally unattractive. Or you can be an average Joe who works hard to get a college degree, stay abreast of whats happening in world events, and reads instead of playing video games... which for me is much more attractive.

I'm lucky, my BF is a sucessful cutie and a turbo smartie... so much so that it intimidates me from time to time. But what I find the most attractive is that he is constantly learning more and more, and when he comes across something that he does not understand, he studies it until he does.

I really have no patience for those who do not try to better themselves.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 08:19:41 AM »
i feel that intelligence is precisely that: a willingness to improve and a certain self-consciousness about yourself.

and that attribute is sexy for both genders.

Amen!

daemonsan

• Segue
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 08:23:45 AM »
One could, I whole-heartedly believe, have more control over their appearance than their personality or intelligence. Therefore, choosing to date women on the basis of physical beauty can be construed as seeking a personality-type that strives for self-improvement, a trait I, as most people I assume, consider admirable. Since, as they say, you can't fix stupid, it's best to focus on the things you can improve!

;D

There is a lot one can do appearance wise. Estee Laurder and BCBG can do wonders for how a girl looks. And while I admit georgous Rob Lowe looking guys do turn my head, I am completely turned on by a man who stives to expand his mind and intellect.

Hmm, my only issue with that, is that I believe (and enough of my degree professors have expounded) that intelligence is relatively static. Now, you can certainly learn new ways to think, argumentative techniques, facts and philosophies. At the end of the day, though, you still have to run it through the same static funnel [intelligence]. Now, if you could change make that funnel bigger, awesome, but instead your just organizing the flow better but you still have an upper-limit. Whereas, aesthetically, that upper-limit is constantly increasing with new techniques, surgeries etc.

I like to think of it like a computer, intelligence that is, you can upgrade all your bits-n-bobs, more RAM, new logic boards, faster pipelines, new standards but if your processor stays the same, you'll bottleneck and never pass a certain point.

this is nonsense.  i feel as if i learn something new each year.  whether it's reading mixed messages in a romantic relationship or dealing with an insurance company or knowing what casu marzu is, i feel that intelligence is precisely that: a willingness to improve and a certain self-consciousness about yourself.

and that attribute is sexy for both genders.

My opinion:
Reading mixed messages/Insurance - New technique/process acquired
Casu Marzu - Fact

So you may know more (though I think we all agree that simply knowing things doesn't make you intelligent) and know how to do things, but a real change in intelligence? You may know more, or work with your information better but you are still capped by static intelligence.

I do agree that the drive for self-betterment in all aspects of one's life is an appealing trait; but as to whether they are making themselves more intelligent, I would have to disagree.

Shame too, I'd love to agree with a dancing banana.

daemonsan

• Segue
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »
You sound like a borderline certified a-hole, perhaps the time has come to start changing your behavior before it gets worse.

Why? I'm almost there!

Your jokes and teasing can get a bit nasty at times, but you have to admit, they are pretty funny.

Yes, yes they are.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2007, 10:22:10 AM »
For final_id:
http://www.time.com/time/2007/arse_quiz/index.html

BRILLIANT! The only one that really applied to me is "Your jokes and teasing can get a bit nasty at times, but you have to admit, they are pretty funny." But, for me the teasing is a show of love... and only directed at those who can take it and dish it right back. :)

Oh and I do interrupt people, but that is more about being really ADD and not thinking what I have to say is more important.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I interrupt my own train of thought more often than anyone else's. HaHa!

daemonsan

• Segue
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:49 AM »
Yeah, but which is harder to get into...

I looked at the GRE after taking my LSAT... I think I actually snorted a little bit. I need to find a full one to take so I can prove that the LSAT is harder... anyone got a link for a full-length one?  :P

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »

I don't see how intelligence is relevant in a person at all. Might be that intelligence is commonly used on factors such as education, knowledge, literacy etc which of course all affect how interesting a person is to converse with. However, intelligence in it's real form really only related to things like maths, physics etc and I don't think having a partner who's exceptionally good at figuring out which asymetric figures with together is a winning recipe for happiness. Surely, I wouldn't want to date a drooling mental patient with a 65 IQ, but I doubt very much you'd be able to spot the difference between a person with a 105 IQ and a 160 IQ in a normal, everyday conversation.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Surely, I wouldn't want to date a drooling mental patient with a 65 IQ, but I doubt very much you'd be able to spot the difference between a person with a 105 IQ and a 160 IQ in a normal, everyday conversation.

Agreed, but I am sure you'd spot it after several years together. So in dating there might be no difference, but in a long term relationship there might be. But its all in what you do with it really. I have always been attracted to smarties... I don't think I could date a guy who is less "intellegent" than I (define that however you please).

But I guess that doesn't set the bar too high.  ::)

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »
I guess not ;)

No of course, I do agree to some point. I would also assume that on average educated people are more intelligent, despite there being some obvious, glaring counter-examples :) Anyway, since we're looking at the singles scene I guess it's more about hooking up than finding eternal happiness? That's my plan at least;)