Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indiana - Bloomington  (Read 1044 times)

thechoson

Indiana - Bloomington
« on: March 15, 2004, 11:39:47 PM »
Hi everyone,
I received a fee waiver to Indy Bloomington (I know no big deal) So I'll probably apply.  I was wondering if anyone had info on this school.  One main concern I have is how this law school and the whole legal community in that area tolerates minorities.  I am an Asian American living in California, so I'm sure it'll be quite a culture shock.  Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this... thanks!

Revenant

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana - Bloomington
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 12:25:08 AM »
I lived in Northern Indiana for two years and though I've never been to Bloomington personally, my guess is the ethnic makeup is similar to that of where I resided.  Everyone from the local schools either went to IU, Purude or Ball State.  The smarter kids went to IU-Bloomington or Purdue-West Lafayette.  As I was an Asian (Canadian) from Toronto, it was a big change for me to move to Indiana, where, funny enough, there were more Canadians than there were Chinese (3 Canadians in my high school of 1500, including me, vs 1 Chinese person, being me again).  There were maybe 2 or 3 Japanese exchange students and a handful more Laotian students.  If you're "white-washed" then there is no problem, but otherwise, you may find sometimes u wish there were more people with the same experiences and background as you.  Of course, this may not apply at all to IUB's law school, but this is all I can offer.  Wish you the best of luck!

blugidy blahblah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 04:41:19 AM »
IUB is probably the most diverse city south of Gary.  And I mean that in a good way.  I have lived in Btown off and on for 6 years.  If you're worried about culture shock, don't!  There are enough cultural outlets to keep you guessing for 3 years.  The downsides in reality are that you feel like you're on an island.  Be it a big ass island, but it still takes forever to get anywhere to be near people you can relate to (ie Chicago, Columbus OH, Louisville, etc).  And, from what I've heard from my friends at the law school, you should really get a good sense of the careers office.  It may not be what most people need.  If you're not in the top 20%, you'll probably be finding your own job without help.  But as far as IU in Btown, Man!  The music school offers so much, and the arts in the city are always rockin!  The nature that surround the campus is breathtaking, not to mention Hoosier National Forest is 10 minutes away.  Every ethnicity is in abundance (sometimes they segregate themselves though) and there are plenty of opportunities from the student board to get out and meet different people and learn about different cultures.  Hope that helps!
Fuzzy Wuzzy

thechoson

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:25:50 PM »
Thanks guys!