Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking about applying to law school...  (Read 1369 times)

luckylady

• View Profile
Thinking about applying to law school...
« on: October 30, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a non-traditional student, stay-home mother with children, with about a year left to finish my undrgradute degree. I've been contemplating applying to law school, and have been doing some research online, but still have lots of questions. I've read that if I am graduating next summer, I should take the LSAT this June - is that right? It seems so soon! And I should be sending out applications next fall?  

I live in Massachusetts and would be applying only to MA schools. Does anyone know how schools like BC and BU view non-tradtional applicants? I have very good grades, but from a few different schools and over (too much) time, so I'm worried about that.

Thanks for your help!  

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
Re: Thinking about applying to law school...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:36:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a non-traditional student, stay-home mother with children, with about a year left to finish my undrgradute degree. I've been contemplating applying to law school, and have been doing some research online, but still have lots of questions. I've read that if I am graduating next summer, I should take the LSAT this June - is that right? It seems so soon! And I should be sending out applications next fall? 

I live in Massachusetts and would be applying only to MA schools. Does anyone know how schools like BC and BU view non-tradtional applicants? I have very good grades, but from a few different schools and over (too much) time, so I'm worried about that.

Thanks for your help! 

Well, actually you would have wanted to take the LSAT last June, so you could be applying now, but it's too late to worry about that.  If you are graduating in the summer of '08, you could have started law school in the fall of '08 if you were applying now.  You could conceivably take the December or February LSAT and still apply for this cycle, but it may be too late to do things well if you have a bunch of other things on your plate.  You would need to prep for and take the LSAT, write your personal statement, write any additional essays that your target schools ask for, get your letters of recommendation, have your transcripts sent and processed, etc. 

If you do wait until next June to take the test, you will be applying next fall to start in the fall of '09.  That gives you plenty of time to get things ready.  If you don't want to wait that long to start school, you have a lot of things to do very quickly. 

How many schools you have attended, and over how much time, really shouldn't matter.  Law schools report your (cumulative) GPA, and if it is good that's (pretty much) all that matters.  Make sure you request transcripts from each college you have attended, no matter how long ago you attended, or for how long.  Good luck!

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

luckylady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 01:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the response - I will actually be done with mu ug degree next summer (09) so it seems like I'm on target time-wise? How much time should go in to preparing to take the LSAT, and how do you recommend one does prepare for it?

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 02:36:57 PM »
Thanks for the response - I will actually be done with mu ug degree next summer (09) so it seems like I'm on target time-wise? How much time should go in to preparing to take the LSAT, and how do you recommend one does prepare for it?

I'm confused now.  Next summer is '08.  You are graduating in (almost) 2 years?  If you will really graduate in the summer of '09, you have plenty of time to get everything ready. 

You LSAT prep is really going to depend on you.  You should at least plan on doing 20+ practice tests (which can be purchased from lsac.org, I believe).  Many people recommend the Logic Games Bible and the Logical Reasoning Bible as good prep books.  If you feel like it is necessary, you can spend the $1000+ for a prep course.  There are threads in the LSAT boards regarding which courses are the best.  Many complain about Kaplan, though I found their online course to be acceptable.  Plan on giving yourself at least 2 months to prepare, but that is only a rough estimate.  Many people take longer to prep, and many take less. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »
LSAC has a free LSAT on their website that you can take as a diagnostic. Once you know what you are currently scoring it will give you a better idea about how much time you will need.

As far as being spread out and going to a number of schools is concerned, I started ugrad in 2002 and will be graduating in 2008. Also, I've attended 5 schools. I wrote an addendum about it. Obviously it hasn't negatively impacted my cycle.

Good luck!
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

bridget_jones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 08:37:33 AM »
Study your butt off for the LSAT and get a good score and the multiple schools and all that stuff won't matter. Although numbers are the most important factors for any school, I think most schools will look favorably upon your being a non-trad. You've got more life experience and all that good stuff. With your grades and a good LSAT score, the sky's the limit.