Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toby Stock Call Thread  (Read 175279 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: Toby Stock Call Thread
« Reply #1170 on: November 09, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »
My logic is that right now, there are ~500 open seats for the class of 2012. I'd venture that there are less (possibly much less, given how early it is in the cycle) than 150 people in the 10/16 batch and 10/31 batch of TS1s combined. That is the pool he will choose from when the first acceptances go out the week of Thanksgiving.

He has more leeway to accept people right now. He can worry about managing medians later. In January, there may only be 80 seats left, which means he has to be more strict with who he accepts and be more careful to make sure the LSAT and GPA medians stay the same/improve from last year.

I must say I doubt it.  :( Toby is pretty experienced at this point, having seen several years of JD applicant pools and composed the classes from them. It wouldn't make sense for him to accept people carelessly in the fall, using "leeway" by planning to worry about managing medians later. If he just waits until later to manage the big picture, the large numbers of people he admits in the fall will just bite him in the ass every spring and make him reject some people that he wants to accept, while accepting others purely for their high #s which would raise the average. I've got to assume that he has more experience and foresight than that.

Obviously, getting called is a great sign, but I wouldn't read too much into the month in which you get called, particularly because rolling applications mean that some people are getting called and admitted before other people (some of whom may well be better qualified) have even applied yet.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1171 on: November 09, 2008, 02:36:12 AM »
My logic is that right now, there are ~500 open seats for the class of 2012. I'd venture that there are less (possibly much less, given how early it is in the cycle) than 150 people in the 10/16 batch and 10/31 batch of TS1s combined. That is the pool he will choose from when the first acceptances go out the week of Thanksgiving.

He has more leeway to accept people right now. He can worry about managing medians later. In January, there may only be 80 seats left, which means he has to be more strict with who he accepts and be more careful to make sure the LSAT and GPA medians stay the same/improve from last year.

I doubt it. Toby is pretty experienced at this point, and I have to think that he is capable of planning and foresight too. It wouldn't make sense for him to accept people carelessly in the fall, using "leeway" by planning to worry about managing medians later. If he just waits until later to manage the big picture, the large numbers of people he admits in the fall will just bite him in the ass every spring and make him reject some people that he wants to accept, while accepting others purely for their high #s which would raise the average. I've got to assume that he has more experience and foresight than that.

Which is why I mentioned that my logic assumes a SMALL number of people admitted in the fall (1/4th of the class or so). Yeah, if his first acceptances fill up 2/3 of the class, my logic doesn't hold.

I think it is Ivey's book that says "early in the cycle, adcomms admit you because they like you, rather than reject you because they're managing medians."

This is just a guess on my part. Something like 80% of calls are accepted. I would assume that the acceptance rate is higher for those called in the first few rounds.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: November 09, 2008, 02:40:56 AM »
I think it is Ivey's book that says "early in the cycle, adcomms admit you because they like you, rather than reject you because they're managing medians."

This is just a guess on my part. Something like 80% of calls are accepted. I would assume that the acceptance rate is higher for those called in the first few rounds.

I've seen Ivey and a few others say that too. I don't know if I believe it or not. Ivey gives some good advice and some questionable advice, and this particular issue is one that I think is likely to vary a lot from school to school. At most schools, for example, the dean of admissions does not personally telephone-interview the applicants.

And if, indeed, the acceptance % is higher early in the season than late in the season, I would think that this would mean fewer people being called later in the season, rather than a smaller % of call recipients being accepted. Because it would be a waste of Toby's time to call so many people late in the season if he knows he's just going to have to turn around and reject a whole bunch of them because their grades/scores aren't high enough. Since of course, he sees the grades and scores before deciding whom to call.
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: November 09, 2008, 02:45:10 AM »
Ps. What does the 1 in TS1 mean?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1174 on: November 09, 2008, 02:56:19 AM »

I've seen Ivey and a few others say that too. I don't know if I believe it or not. Ivey gives some good advice and some questionable advice, and this particular issue is one that I think is likely to vary a lot from school to school. At most schools, for example, the dean of admissions does not personally telephone-interview the applicants.

And if, indeed, the acceptance % is higher early in the season than late in the season, I would think that this would mean fewer people being called later in the season, rather than a smaller % of call recipients being accepted. Because it would be a waste of Toby's time to call so many people late in the season if he knows he's just going to have to turn around and reject a whole bunch of them because their grades/scores aren't high enough. Since of course, he sees the grades and scores before deciding whom to call.

They need to fill a waitlist somehow. I wonder if Toby calls people he is pretty sure he'll waitlist in order to rank the waitlist. All speculation...

The 1 in TS1 means the first call. TS2 is the second (acceptance) call.

olderapplicant

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 09, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
don't forget how many calls he actually has to make - there is plenty of time to still get your call.  the guy calls something like 1000 people over approx. 4 months.  lets assume that is 80 days (5 day work week) - he has to make something like 12 calls per day - and that's two hours of his time assuming the calls are approx 10 minutes each.  and we know he probably hasn't been making that many calls so far - so there are still plenty of calls to make.

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1176 on: November 10, 2008, 11:09:13 AM »
Good luck to everyone expecting calls this week!

tmonmon

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 10, 2008, 12:44:45 PM »
Yeah don't sweat it.  I don't think he even actually listens closely to your answers.  Just wants to make sure you're capable of talking about what you put on your application.

GoneBabyGone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1178 on: November 10, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »
Any calls yet today?

DWIGHT SCHRUTE

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 10, 2008, 02:01:51 PM »
yeah, i agree - the call is pretty much useless in terms of selling yourself.