Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Toby Stock Call Thread  (Read 176219 times)

JQuann

• View Profile
Re: Toby Stock Call Thread
« Reply #1030 on: October 22, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »
There are people in this thread who got the call but didn't get in. It's not because they screwed up the interview, which it is basically impossible to do. It's usually because their numbers were cuspy anyway.

Would you wager that anyone this early is cuspy?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #1031 on: October 22, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »
There are people in this thread who got the call but didn't get in. It's not because they screwed up the interview, which it is basically impossible to do. It's usually because their numbers were cuspy anyway.

Would you wager that anyone this early is cuspy?

Dunno, but not impossible. IIRC, one of the people I'm thinking of got the call well before I did, but still didn't get in. I think timing is mostly based on when you apply, with some obvious spacing for the early appliers.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

penguinfiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 22, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »

That's got to be pretty devastating.  And it's strange, because if the interviews do not factor heavily into the evaluation of their candidacy, then how could their numbers warrant an interview but not an acceptance?  Those posters are probably way creepier on the phone than they let on   :D

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #1033 on: October 22, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »

That's got to be pretty devastating.  And it's strange, because if the interviews do not factor heavily into the evaluation of their candidacy, then how could their numbers warrant an interview but not an acceptance?  Those posters are probably way creepier on the phone than they let on   :D

I'm almost certain that wasn't the case. IIRC, the poster I'm thinking of had a usual-style good GPA (3.8+, pretty sure) but only (only! Sickening that this is an only!) a 170. She was as surprised as anyone to get the call.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

olderapplicant

• View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:50 PM »
Anything is possible, but that would require that he have access to applications on the road.  Back when applications were entirely paper-based that would be ridiculous, but even in the electronic application era it still seems kind of unlikely; he would have taken them with him to Chad (Africa)?  On the other hand, it seems to be a pretty common practice to blog from your laptop while sitting in the airport, waiting in your hotel, etc.

Really not trying to be a wet blanket  ;)  Just couldn't help but chime in, since it's a topic of interest to me, too. 

how do you know he was in chad?  wasn't that a blog from some 2L student?

hibiscus

• View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: October 22, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »
he's definitely not in chad.

although, in regards to the other conversation, i do wonder why 300 or so people don't get in after the phone call.  if their numbers were on the verge of rejection, what would a 5 or 10 minute phone call do?  maybe it's not just a "psycho screen" like some have suggested?

penguinfiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
how do you know he was in chad?  wasn't that a blog from some 2L student?

Whoops.  Haha, I guess that's what I get for reading only the subject lines and dates.  I am starting to feel a bit like we're playing "Where In the World is Carmen Sandiego," though.  We're trying to figure out where Dean Stock went and if he could carry applications with him. 

In any case, I stand behind my other observation.  A "psycho screen" wouldn't eliminate three hundred applicants.  While I don't think we have any way of figuring out what guides their decision-making, it's interesting to consider than a 5 minute conversation is able to move people from the potential-admit pile to the reject/waitlist group. 

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:30 PM »
There was a great SNL skit with Bob Saget where they parodies Carmen San Diego.  They had a TV game show called, "Where in the world is San Diego, California?"  Your post jogged my memory of that skit.  Made me laugh.  Thanks.

olderapplicant

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 22, 2008, 11:14:11 PM »
he's definitely not in chad.

although, in regards to the other conversation, i do wonder why 300 or so people don't get in after the phone call.  if their numbers were on the verge of rejection, what would a 5 or 10 minute phone call do?  maybe it's not just a "psycho screen" like some have suggested?

who knows the answer but i bet there are plenty of people who embellish their softs.  so ts may ask some detailed questions about their interests/softs, etc and realize their application is not a great representation of their real experiences.  also, alot of them might just be waitlisted based on other their numbers, etc.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 23, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »
FWIW, I just got the "yo app is complete" email from Harvard...now just tell me you'll call me, Tobes!