Law School Discussion

Toby Stock Call Thread

Re: Toby Stock Call Thread
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2007, 01:28:02 PM »
Hi,
I've been lurking on this board for a few months and want to thank everyone for all the help you've unknowingly given me.
Just had my Toby Stock call...I had pretty much the same experience as everyone. It kind of seemed like he didn't really care what my answers were. I don't really get why they put everyone through this...I've been stressing out this whole week and clutching my phone in my hand at all times for a 7 minute chat about nothing new. Overall, it was very generic, which makes me think it's not a big part at all of the admissions decision.  Just have to wait and see I guess.

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »
One other graduate program -- not a law school -- I know a little about has said that their interviews are basically just "psycho screenings".  They've pretty much made up their mind about you beforehand, they just want to make sure you're not an obvious sociopath before they offer you admission.  My suspicion is that the Stock calls are pretty similar.

CandyMonster

• Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 03:21:32 PM »
Just got the email!!! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time! (And relieved too...somewhat.)  ;D

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
Congrats Ataraxia!

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
One other graduate program -- not a law school -- I know a little about has said that their interviews are basically just "psycho screenings".  They've pretty much made up their mind about you beforehand, they just want to make sure you're not an obvious sociopath before they offer you admission.  My suspicion is that the Stock calls are pretty similar.

I used to think so. But sure Toby doesn't hit 300 psychos in the 1100 he calls?

CandyMonster

• Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2007, 04:06:24 PM »
Congrats to those who got calls and thought it went well! Congrats as well to those getting emails! I agree with a previous poster: it didn't seem like Toby was particularly *into* the conversation. It kinda felt like he was flipping through my file for the first time as we talked (which is quite possible, of course).

Hmmm, so you think that these emails are sent out purely based on numbers?

CandyMonster

• Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2007, 04:07:34 PM »

I used to think so. But sure Toby doesn't hit 300 psychos in the 1100 he calls?

Maybe 100 psychos + 200 painfully socially akward= 300 rejects/waitlist?

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2007, 04:38:16 PM »
Congrats Ataraxia!

Did anyone else receive interview emails?

CandyMonster

• Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
I don't necessarily think that the emails are based solely on numbers -- more likely that he reads through a ton of files and decides who he wants to call, but because of the sheer volume of reading he may not remember the specifics of your file. I don't mean to sound that he is completely disengaged and uninterested -- far from it. It was in fact a pleasant conversation. I was just a bit surprised by certain questions because one was about a minor activity on my resume and another was the topic of my PS. I could easily be misreading his remarks. It could just as easily be the case that he wanted to ask me questions different from those that I might have expected and prepared for.

Makes sense.

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
Damn it. Before I could comfort myself with the chimera that only top people like Alex were getting the call so early, but now everyone and their mother has one.