Law School Discussion

Toby Stock Call Thread

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Toby Stock Call Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
me too, he's 16 and could probably put in a good days work if someone could motivate him  :P, think toby stock wants him?

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »
Thanks for the congrats, guys! I forgot to mention one thing: After a question about my academic transcript, he asked if I'd done any undergrad research. I responded that I hadn't done any published research, but that I had done an independent study that resulted in a few papers on democratization in Argentina (a big interest of mine). He then asked me "what I thought about what happened in Argentina". (For reference: the Prez's wife was just elected as Prez) Fortunately I knew exactly what happened and could speak cogently on it (I compared it to the current political families in the U.S.). I thought it was a smooth move by Toby -- seeing if I actually knew what I was talking about. Thought I'd mention it because it struck me as very clever questioning on Stock's part.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »
Haha, well nothing is certain. I'm trying to stay tempered in my enthusiasm here. It's completely out of my hands now. :-)

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »
Just got off the phone with him! :o :o  He asked me a lot about a pending publication that I have - that ended up being a major part of our conversation.  He also asked me one question from my personal statement, plus my major activities, etc.  I asked him about some groups at HLS and we discussed those for a little bit.  He was extremely nice, easygoing, and helpful.  I'm so glad he's called - now I don't have to have my phone glued to my hand and have a heart attack every time I hear anything and think it is ringing!! :D

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
That is great to hear that Toby is a nice guy. I hope to hear from him soon.  Awesome job Rebeccakay!

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 02:50:47 PM »
Hi Rebecca! Glad to hear it went well. That was a great idea to ask about student groups! He kinda answered my question before I got the chance to ask it, and I was kinda flustered and had a rather flimsy back-up. It sounds like he was really interested in your work.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 03:28:03 PM »
Thanks, afpf and Alex!  Sounds like yours went wonderfully as well, Alex - I know your knowledge of Argentina impressed him.  Afpf, I'm sure you'll be hearing from him quite soon as well.

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Then he mentioned the Patriots, and I said my Steelers would beat them.

Ding!

Then he thanked me for my time.

Like I said.

JUST KIDDING! :) It actually sounds a lot like my conversation with him (minus sports, plus awkward discussion of New Haven). For me he also picked out a relatively minor item on my resume to discuss.

So now you can take a deep breath and relax...you'll probably get the Second Call from Toby soon, and do great everywhere else too! :)

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »
Hi all,

New user here.  Any chance you know what the call represents?  All I've seen is that Dean Stock suggests that they do about 1000 phone calls and that Harvard's class is eventually about 550.  Do kids get admitted without phone calls?

Thanks to all for information.  Lookin' forward to it.

-Mike

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the thoughts.  Dean Stock called about twenty minutes ago to chat about my plans, one of my research projects, and the St. Louis Cardinals.  Sounds like a very powerful, diverse program they've got there.

-Mike