Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Some free advice  (Read 3573 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Some free advice
« on: October 29, 2007, 02:38:40 PM »
If Law School is your dream, be VERY careful what you do in undergrad

those grades can come back to haunt you! (even college classes you take while in HS!!!)
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
Re: Some free advice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 07:13:04 AM »
If only I came across this about 4 years ago.

MHLM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:23:08 AM »
If only I came across this about 4 years ago.

PB&J dude made me think all animated avatars were created equally annoying, but yours has proven tremendously entertaining!  :D

RokoMotion

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 08:44:50 AM »
This post is the most important piece of advice you can get if you're set on going to law school.  Every last A- instead of A, every last paper, project, homework assignment, and exam makes a difference.  Every decimal matters.  I've met so many people who slacked off their first year or two of college, kicked it into high gear later, and sorely regretted it when law schools calculated their admissions index and used a GPA they were less than proud of.

PUSH yourself, but keep your sanity :)

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:06:54 AM »
Actually, it's more efficient to just do better on the LSAT than stress about every last homework assignment in undergrad.  Every last question on the LSAT matters a lot more for admissions than the "every decimal" for GPAs. 

The main problem with law school GPAs isn't really the slackers.  It's the over-committed students who put extra-curriculars above academics because they don't want to disappoint the other people in their clubs, groups, sororities.  So don't stress about everything, get a 3.7-4.0, and when there's a conflict between extras and academics, choose academics. 

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
Actually, it's more efficient to just do better on the LSAT than stress about every last homework assignment in undergrad.  Every last question on the LSAT matters a lot more for admissions than the "every decimal" for GPAs. 

The main problem with law school GPAs isn't really the slackers.  It's the over-committed students who put extra-curriculars above academics because they don't want to disappoint the other people in their clubs, groups, sororities.  So don't stress about everything, get a 3.7-4.0, and when there's a conflict between extras and academics, choose academics. 

maybe, but make sure you get no D's or F's

if its looking like thats going to happen, drop the class ASAP

some of you may not want to due to FA considerations, and that makes it a tough call, but if Law School is your goal, may be worth it to take a financial hit up front opposed to not getting into a school youd like.
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

EatYourVeggies

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
Always sign up for 5/6 classes and drop down to 4 after you see the syllabus.

And of course no Ds or Fs.  But I'd include avoiding Cs in there as well.  Take the "weed out" courses at community colleges over the summer.

DerekShiHarvard

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

The LSAT is definitely weighted more heavily than the GPA. This is true. But telling students that they can blow off homework assignments is irresponsible. No one can guarantee themselves an excellent LSAT score. And having a high GPA AND a high LSAT score would make your application look incredible.

If you are going into college, do your best. Don't blow off work with the thought that "I can just score high on the LSAT."
Links:
PowerScore Bibles
Law School Numbers
LSAT Proctor DVD

The shadow proves the sunshine - press on fellow applicants!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 07:34:46 AM »

The point about over-committed students bogging themselves, and usually their GPAs, down in extra-curriculars is so incredibly correct. I see so many people kill themselves to stay on top of student government/sorority/fraternity/club business and it never ceases to amaze me that they usually are doing it at the expense of their GPAs. Further, they usually think that the fact they're on student government and in a couple of clubs will get them into places like Harvard, but they fail to see how a low GPA might just be a snag. Don't get me wrong, I think ECs are great soft factors, especially if you have little or no work experience. However, they're still soft factors and they won't make up for a low GPA or LSAT.

So yeah, just like OP said, if you have to pick between academics and ECs, take academics every single time. It's a lot easier to explain why you didn't have any ECs (I was doing my homework) than why you have a 2.nothing GPA (I was SO busy with my frat...).
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.