Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One of my letter writers is ignoring me!  (Read 1133 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
One of my letter writers is ignoring me!
« on: October 29, 2007, 02:03:35 PM »
Or so it seems. Hasn't responded to my emails for 3 weeks and has not been in the office. I have seen him walking around on campus though, so I know he's around.

I'm not sure what to do. I already have two other ones (1 academic, 1 work), so its not essential that this one get in. However, I don't have the greatest stats and need all the help I can get, including this rec.

What have you guys done in situations like this?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: One of my letter writers is ignoring me!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:12:46 PM »
Honestly, I wouldn't push it anymore.  He might be purposely avoiding you because he doesn't want to do it.  A bad or lukewarm LOR will do more harm than good.  Is there anyone else you could ask?  Both of my LOR writers were very excited and wrote the letters for me right away so my experience was very different from yours.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

JMFM2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:15:48 PM »
I would call him/her during office hours and be honest.  Just say that you appreciate them agreeing to write one for you, but that your application is being held up and you would like to know whether they anticipate being able to get the letter in by X date.  If he/she is hesitant, just ask someone else and take him off of your list, or let it ride with the letters you have.  You could use the letter later for wait lists or deferments if you think that will be an issue.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:33:11 AM »
Awkward.  Here's what I'd do...

(1) get really drunk
(2) call your professor and ask what's w/ the holdup.
_______
.|E|R|S.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 02:22:53 PM »
Haha, Tetris' suggestion might actually work the best.

Here's an update:
He finally responded to my emails on Monday saying he'd have it in (to Princeton Career Services, they're the ones sending all my letters out) by Tuesday. But when I called Career Services today (Friday), they said it never came in.

I think I'm ready to give up. Like someone said above, its probably not a good sign for the quality of the rec that he's dragging his feet like this. I'm just going to have the 2 recs that are already in sent out.

Without his, I only have 1 academic rec, and 1 work rec. I'd definitely prefer to have 2 academic, but it doesn't look like its going to happen.

I think I'm also going to call up schools and tell them to consider my file complete once the two get there. If the 3rd one gets there before they read my file, great, but I don't want it holding it up.