Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LOR Question. Please help me!  (Read 1131 times)

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
LOR Question. Please help me!
« on: September 27, 2004, 03:52:43 PM »
OK, so I asked an associate here at work to write me a recommendation.  He has finished it and said he would try to get a partner to co-sign it with him.  When he asked, he also asked about being allowed to put the letter on official law firm letterhead.  He was told that it could only come on official letterhead if the partner endorsed it; but, that it would be much more of a stock letter.  So, my two options are more personal detailed letter from an associate or stock letter signed by partner on firm letterhead.  The firm I work at is top-tier (think Skadden, Cravath terrritory).  Which is better?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LOR Question. Please help me!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:08:14 PM »
Did this associate only ask the partner about letterhead?  That information seems wrong to me.  Maybe you should ask around and see if HR/marketing/whoever else might know could be more helpful.  Not being able to use letterhead seems ridiculous.

And if it turns out to be correct, then I guess you should still go with the associate's rec.  Unless there's another partner that you work with/for that could write it and put it on letterhead (and would give you the same quality rec).  It's more about quality over looks.  Just make sure he gives his contact info, so schools know he really works at the firm.  (not that they'd check, but hey, better safe than sorry)

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:25:30 PM »
I know.  Doesn't it seem insane!! I need to find out more - he called and then had to get off for another call.  Now I can't get in touch with him and am stressed.  Why would he not be able to write it on letterhead?  What is the point of getting someone from the firm to write it if you can't even have the impressive firm name on it?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 05:23:01 PM »
yeah, definitely find out more.

I've seen associates and partners at my firm (Holland & Knight) use letterhead for all kinds of things.  This firm hired you, and hasn't fired you, so I don't know why there would be an issue recommending you on letterhead.  I could see if the attorney in question was doing something personal that the firm might not want to be associated with, but this is just a rec for law school.  The stance the associate describes seem totally unreasonable.

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »
He says he was looking at the LSDAS rec form and was surprised when it said to print it on letterhead because it is not an actual opinion of the firm.  He contacted one of the partners about it who said he could only print it on letter head if it was from a partner.  I have worked with the partner; but, I am sure the letter will not be as detailed or personal.   

M2

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 05:41:19 PM »
Thats weird...When a professor writes a LOR it isn't assumed that it is the School's opinion...

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 05:48:03 PM »
So, do you think it will matter at all if I have the partner write it?  Better to have the name on the paper right?  Better than having no header.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 06:14:28 PM »
I've always been under the impression that a good, detailed letter was more important than the big name it went on.

I think if the associate, who is apparently more familiar with you and your work product, wrote the letter, and perhaps included a sentence about not being on letter head (not a partner, and not explicit firm business), I think you'd be better off than a so-so rec from a partner.

Bamaboy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 06:31:03 PM »
Yeah, my gut is to go with the more personal letter.  I am going to check out the Montauk book and sleep on it tonight and then decide in the morning.  Thanks.