Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is the 8 week Powerscore class worth it?  (Read 2632 times)

marketster

• View Profile
Re: Is the 8 week Powerscore class worth it?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 09:02:20 PM »
Powerscore does not offer proctored tests!!!
"Don't like gay marriage? Don't get one!"

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 07:54:38 AM »
Powerscore does not offer proctored tests!!!

Uhhh... yes it does. Four of them.

(That's in the full-length course. Not sure about the weekend.)

twoguys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 10:10:10 PM »

Are they really proctored ones? I have heard you enter your answers yourself on the Internet, you don't actually hand your answer sheet to your instructor ...

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 11:43:02 PM »

Are they really proctored ones? I have heard you enter your answers yourself on the Internet, you don't actually hand your answer sheet to your instructor ...

Well, proctored just means that someone is timing you strictly in class, simulating real test conditions. It doesn't mean that they have to score the test for you. I don't see why it makes any difference who scores it. I suppose you could cheat and put in more time or whatever before you enter your answers in on the internet, but then you wouldn't get an accurate idea of your current level of skill, so what would be the point?

The internet scoring thing gives you your scaled & raw scores, plus breaks the test down by question type so that you can see what your strengths/weaknesses are. You then can print the whole report out and bring it to the next class for the test review. The instructor has the class's statistical information from the test available (from the online system) - mine used this data to go over the questions the class as a whole seemed to have trouble with, then went over other questions upon request.

I thought that these exercises were very helpful - I wasn't very good about being strict with timing with the preptests I took in my own. (I didn't let myself go into overtime per se, but I'd hit "pause" if the phone rang, or if I got interrupted, etc.) Not that doing my own preptests was useless - but the in-class ones were what really prepared me for the time pressures of test day.

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 01:25:14 AM »
Err, I know this response might be kind of late, but maybe it'll help future test takers who are interested in a prep class.

Powerscore does offer proctored tests. The syllabus offers 4 tests, but our instructor went out of his way to give us 5 more tests, recent ones at that. So we had a total of 9 proctored tests, plus the 15-20 tests on our own out of the "10 LSAT" books. The internet scoring was great, and like Mrs_Malaprop said, it would be pointless to change your answers. You can print your a 4-page report that lists your strengths and weaknesses, and the percentage of how many others picked the various answer choices. It's EXTREMELY helpful, especially on LR.

I recommend a PS (or TM) course, worlds above Kaplan or PR. Not to mention its cheaper, but it's far superior in its methods. What I would recommend more though, is at least trying to LR and LG bibles first, at least 3 months before class. Take a practice every week to gauge your progess, and study for at least 3 hours a day. I say this because the class is extremely pricey, and the same results are possible with the bibles. My teacher was great, but my only complaint is that we read the material straight out of the book, verbally, page-by-page, and then we proceeded to work on practice problems for an hour. The only material my instructor ever went in depth into was LG. This has made me think that I could have saved $1,000 by studying on my own, because with the exception of LG, that is essentially what I did on LR and RC. Think of it this way, it won't hurt for you to at least try the bibles. If you don't improve in 3 months, then take the class. If you improve 10 points, but want a little boost, take the weekend class as a supplement. If you find the bibles to be sufficient, then you just saved yourself $1,000.

Either way, the structure of PS and TM is far superior over Kaplan or PR. I reviewed the Kaplan study guide, and it was utter crap. Not to mention their dumbed-down, intellictually insulting "free interactive CD" (which I now use as a coaster) made me feel like a child. I was so lost and hung up on all their "strategies", it was mind-boggling. That is one of the reasons why people tend to score lower after the PR and Kaplan class because it's just all too much to absorb in such a short amount of time. The LSAT is stressful as it is, why would you want to bog yourself down with more time-comsuming strategies? PS and TM focuses on "thinking" like the LSAT, not finding easy shortcuts around it. Both are also known for their loads of coursework, but once you master "thinking" like the LSAT, the sky's the limit.

From what I hear, its not uncommon for people who either do the bibles or take the courses along with craploads of practice tests, to improve their score 15-20 points. I have yet to hear someone who's improved by that much by using Kaplan or PR "strategies".

Here's my recommendation: try the bibles 3 months prior to the next prep class. If it helps, keep on truckin' and maybe take the PS weekend course. Don't forget to take timed practice tests at least 3 times a week, this is crucial. It's pointless to learn to "think" like the LSAT if you never apply it. If you feel you need the motivation, have the money, and the location is nearby, sign up for the course. If you don't have the money, or don't live near a location, work on the bibles and practice tests and keep the weekend course in mind.

I improved from a diagnostic of 141 to the high of 153. An acquaintence of mine took PR, and had a diagnostic of 154, and her most recent practice test was a 152. Her head is about to explode right now. :(

HTH...If anyone has any more questions about PS, PM me.
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

IsleOfMan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 08:33:49 PM »

Well, proctored just means that someone is timing you strictly in class, simulating real test conditions. It doesn't mean that they have to score the test for you. I don't see why it makes any difference who scores it. I suppose you could cheat and put in more time or whatever before you enter your answers in on the internet, but then you wouldn't get an accurate idea of your current level of skill, so what would be the point?

The point would be that you'd look a bit smarter in front of your instructor ... the ethos, especially in Powercore classes (yanno that 99% requirement) is that low LSAT scores are stupid people ... would you like to be seen as stupid?

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 09:07:02 PM »

Here's my recommendation: try the bibles 3 months prior to the next prep class. If it helps, keep on truckin' and maybe take the PS weekend course. Don't forget to take timed practice tests at least 3 times a week, this is crucial. It's pointless to learn to "think" like the LSAT if you never apply it. If you feel you need the motivation, have the money, and the location is nearby, sign up for the course. If you don't have the money, or don't live near a location, work on the bibles and practice tests and keep the weekend course in mind.

I would think it would be better to take the weekend course first.  That way you would have an instructor teach you the material and you could apply the lessons on the LGB and LRB, plus practice tests.  What do you guys think?

Mrs Malaprop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 12:00:29 AM »
The point would be that you'd look a bit smarter in front of your instructor ... the ethos, especially in Powercore classes (yanno that 99% requirement) is that low LSAT scores are stupid people ... would you like to be seen as stupid?

Any test prep company is most unlkely to hold the view that a low LSAT score indicates stupidity - after all, if it were not possible to improve with practice and technique, the test prep companies wouldn't be in business. A couple of people from my class made HUGE leaps in score - like 20 points or so. PowerScore didn't make them smarter than they were when they started the course - PS just prepared them to do well on the test.

I didn't find PS to be elitist at all. We had a wide range of people - from people who were really having trouble with the material to those who were just trying to get a top score. The class helped all of us - the people who had been struggling most of all. Our instructor treated everyone like intelligent adults, and no one was ever made to feel like any question was stupid. I felt like the class also really tried to help each other out. I know I was just as excited when other people started making huge improvements as when I finally started to "get" games.

I don't think it's a bad thing that PS and TM require a 99% LSAT score from their instructors - it just means that the intructors have a strong handle on the material they will be teaching. It doesen't mean that they will look down on anyone who doesn't score in that range. My instructor seemed to care very much about helping each person in the class - the people whose goal was in the mid-150's as much as those shooting for 180 - and was genuinely psyched when people started making improvements.

As far as worrying what your instructor will think, the instructor doesn't know who exactly scored what (at least, when I scored a 180 on the last in-class exam, he knew that someone had done it, but he didn't know which of the likely suspects it was). Otherwise, you're the only one with a real breakdown of your exam, which you print out for yourself and don't have to share with anybody if you don't want to. The instructor gets statistical data, so he knows where the class as a whole is having trouble - then takes individual questions as well. If anyone decided to "cheat" with the scoring, they'd just be cheating themselves.

I guess it all comes down to the instructor and the class, but I really enjoyed my experience, and believe that it boosted my confidence and my skills significantly.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 10:15:18 AM »
give julie eight weeks, and she make you pretty like her as well as good at lsat.

laframboise

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »
LOL Powerscore indeed does not proctor the tests it gives ya! It allows to do it by yourself at your home, if you want! Powerscore is pulling your legs! HAHAHA!