Law School Discussion

Is the 8 week Powerscore class worth it?

Is the 8 week Powerscore class worth it?
« on: September 27, 2004, 01:37:21 PM »
Whats up people?  I've been visiting this board for a while now and am scheduled to take the Oct. test, but am postponing to December so I can study more than 3 weeks ;)  I've read most of the posts about how you guys prepared for the LSAT, but I'm wondering if any of you have taken this course and recommend it or if you would recommend Kaplan instead?  Seems like most people use the materials from Powerscore (LR bible, etc.) so it would make sense that maybe thats the better course?  Plus, some of you have stated that Kaplan instructors are almost worthless.  I'd have to drive about an hour for the powerscore class and the kaplan is in my hometown.  So, should I go with kaplan or powerscore OR neither?  Seems like if you take the class you are FORCED to study and that kind of motivation is something I definitely need right now.  But, are the instruction and tips/strategies worth the $1095 or can I get the same advice if I simply buy the books?  Thanks for the input in advance.

Re: Is the 8 week Powerscore class worth it?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 01:51:18 PM »
i am in the same exact situation you, PS is one hour away, but no way i would take kaplan which is near me.

after studying the LRB and LGB I started thinking, hey i can do this on my own...

however, i am not going to take a chance here, as this is my one shot in december due to my age...

so powerscore it is!

_EKC_

• LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 04:14:05 PM »
Consider the Powerscore weekend course, and take it as early as possible. For me, the 8 week course wouldn't have been worth it, because I need stuff condensed like it was for the  weekend course, and then to practice on my own.

Maybe a Combo of the LGB & LRB with the weekend course would work for you two?

gobears

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 05:24:16 PM »
I'm in PowerScore now.  In retrospect, and although my instructor is totally great, I wish I would've just gotten the LRB, LGB, and lots of real LSATs from the LSAC, and studied on my own.  That would've saved me a $1000.  I think if you're self-disciplined and motivated, and have no probleming learning from books, that's the way to go.  But if you aren't as self-disciplined about studying as you should be and/or you feel like it'd be better for you to have someone explain concepts to you, then it'd be worth it to sign up for either PowerScore or TestMasters (both are pretty much exactly the same as far as material and resources provided, from what I've heard). 

Also, I've never taken Princeton Review or Kaplan, but most people seem to highly prefer PowerScore and TestMasters to either of those two.  Of course, since so much of the prep courses depend on having a good instructor, it "might" be worth it to take Princeton Review or Kaplan if the instructor is far better than the PowerScore or TestMasters instructor in your local area.  (Sorry, I know it's borderline blasphemous for me to say so on these boards, since so many people here love PowerScore and TestMasters.  But most the "best" instructors seem to go to PowerScore or TestMasters anyway, so what I said hopefully isn't as bad as it might sound.)  Anyhow, I recommend you try calling up the prep course companies in your local area and asking them if it's possible to sit in on a class for free before you commit?  I know PowerScore has no problem doing this.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 05:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I finally decided my course of action is going to be buying the Logical Reasoning Bible and the Logical Games Bible and then I'm taking a Powerscore weekend course on the weekend of Nov. 21st.  I think this should be sufficient enough for me.  I do have one last question though.......

Since I bought the Logical Games Bible, is it necessary to also get the LG setup guide????  I'm not planning on ordering it b/c I haven't really seen it recommended, but if anyone has great things to say about I'd be interested in hearing.  Thanks again everyone.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 07:43:48 PM »
If you can afford to throw away $1,100 go ahead and take the Powerscore class.

AaronJ

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 07:52:42 PM »
If you can afford to throw away $1,100 go ahead and take the Powerscore class.

Do you realize you've been posting in threads that are over a month old?

wfd

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 08:28:59 PM »
Powerscore definetely sucks ass!

scurred1

• Where am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:24:21 AM »
I just took the Powerscore weekend course and I found it to be really helpful. The instructor gave us a lot of shortcuts and tips that I would have never found out on my own during self-study (which is mostly what I did for the Oct. test.) I would highly recommend it if you don't have the time or the money to put into the 8-week course. 

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »
yes, i am currently enrolled in it and i have learned things from the instructor that i would not have learned anywhere else.

some people can study on their own and get through this.

I am not one of those people, and i want every possible chance to be successful on december 4.