Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard phone interview, what to say?  (Read 365 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
Harvard phone interview, what to say?
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:02:19 AM »
Hi, I'm posting for a friend of mine.

He had a 164 back in September 2003 as a college senior, but this was from not studying and not even wanting to apply to law school necessarily. He has been in the Korean military since, and got a 177 on the December 2006 test. He studied very hard to get this score because he was convinced he wanted to go to law school for himself and not for his parents.

He has a great GPA from a top Ivy, and a good resume. He was contacted for a Harvard phone interview, but does not know how to best approach the question that will surely come up: "Explain the 13 point gap in your LSAT score over three years."

Is it best to say that he studied the second time bc he was not serious about law school the first time, attributing his great score to studying hard? as in, does it hurt to emphasize the studying he did because it sounds like he "beat the test"? Because the 177 reflects his abilities, supposedly.

Thanks all.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard phone interview, what to say?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 12:13:00 AM »
Saying "I wasn't serious about law school" probably isn't a good idea.  I would suggest saying something like, I was more focused this time around.  It means the same thing as "I wasn't serious about law school," but you need to frame it in more positive terms. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.