Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where do I stick the comma?  (Read 1097 times)

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
where do I stick the comma?
« on: September 27, 2004, 02:35:51 PM »
ok, need a little grammar help if you're ineterested.....

A) My experience working for xyz company has been invaluable and has helped me decide to pursue a career in law.

OR

B) My experience working for xyz company has been invaluable, and has helped me decide to pursue a career in law.

I think it's A, just want to make sure though...

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
Re: where do I stick the comma?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 02:39:13 PM »
here's another one.....

A) I value the opportunity to graduate with less debt while still receiving a high-quality education.

B) I value the opportunity to graduate with less debt while still receiving a high quality education.

C)I value the opportunity to graduate with less debt while still receiving a first-rate education.

lexylit

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »
a for the former, a or c for the latter. you need the hyphen because it's adjectival, modifying education.

but to be honest, the first sentence could be stronger. you're hesitating about the comma because "has been" and "has helped" aren't parallel constructions.

you might try a more direct route like "my invaluable [or some other adj.] experience working for xyz has led me to pursue a career in law."

noell

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 02:55:15 PM »
What lexy said ...

I was just about the post that ... :P

chicago

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.84 | 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 03:16:28 PM »
Lexy,

how about this......

My experience working for xyz company has been invaluable, helping me decide to pursue a career in law.

lexylit

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 03:20:55 PM »
bleh  >:(

shoot for concise. strong verbs. cut down on your use of "to be" (is, was, been, am) whenever possible.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »
I agree with lexy.  >:(

"active" verbs all the way.  If that was your first sentence, or even the end of your first paragraph, and I'd already read 100+ essays, I definitely would NOT be excited to read any more of yours.

Not saying you have to be witty and off-the-wall, but you should try to use as many active, descriptive verbs as possible.