Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ack! My LOR is NOT in English!  (Read 815 times)

Nonixskis

Ack! My LOR is NOT in English!
« on: October 28, 2007, 04:45:09 AM »
I've been living in China for 1.5 years so I need an LOR or SOMETHING to cover this period of my life.  When I asked a teacher of mine to write me an LOR for law school she agreed, albeit she doesn't know a word of English beyond 'hello' and the entire thing was in Mandarin.  So I took the document to a liscensed translator -no problem I thought.

However, I caught a brief glimpse of the 'translated' letter and saw that's it's basically at a low-middle school level English with tons of spelling and grammar mistakes.

My reccomender talked well enough about the things I wanted her to, but the letter is so bad that it questions its credibility. 

Can I use this letter?  I have 2 leftover from my undergrad days in my file already, but I've lost touch with all my old profs and the teachers/employers I've met since then all don't speak English.  I used a teacher that really likes me and the most 'reputable' translation agency in this part of China and I still got this result.

In my essay/app I extensively mention my experiences in China and my desire to persue China law, so I need to include a China letter.  I either don't have any letter to support my claims or I have a terribly-written one.  I'm screwed.

eventually

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Ack! My LOR is NOT in English!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:02:05 AM »
it is plain and simple....Write them in English...

Nonixskis

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 05:35:08 AM »
I have an LOR translated into English, but it looks like a child wrote it.  It's the best I can do because in this part of the world nobody uses English and they expect me to know their language rather than the other way around.

Nonixskis

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:31 AM »
logicalforce,

I hate to sound apocalyptic or un-American, but if you polled the Chinese population, you'd find the majority of them expect Americans will be speaking Chinese within the next 20 years.  Sounds crazy, but that's the way it is.

The truth is, we can't even get Spanish right...