Law School Discussion

3.6/162, chances in DC law schools

3.6/162, chances in DC law schools
« on: October 27, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »
Since most ppl on these boards are wise beyond my age, I thought I would youguys for my prospects in DC school.

These are the school I want to apply to:

American
GWU (I am an undergrad here)
maybe UMD

and some schools in VA

William and Mary
W&L
GMU

What do you guys think my chances are at these schools?

Re: 3.6/162, chances in DC law schools
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
Since most ppl on these boards are wise beyond my age, I thought I would youguys for my prospects in DC school.

These are the school I want to apply to:

American
GWU (I am an undergrad here)
maybe UMD

and some schools in VA

William and Mary
W&L
GMU

What do you guys think my chances are at these schools?

Strong at American and probably UMD. A likely waitlist at W&M, rejected by the rest. Any chance you'd consider retaking? A 165 would give you a good shot at all of these schools (with the possible exception of GW) and a 167 would make you golden.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
I really did think about retaking but I already took it twice (1st time I got a 153)and it is really draining on me and esp. my school semester.

Even if I apply PT to GW, do you still think I dont have a good chance? Does going to undergrad at GW do anything for me?

Thanks for all the input!!!!!

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »
I really did think about retaking but I already took it twice (1st time I got a 153)and it is really draining on me and esp. my school semester.

Even if I apply PT to GW, do you still think I dont have a good chance? Does going to undergrad at GW do anything for me?

Thanks for all the input!!!!!

Yes, applying PT will do a lot to help you out. Going to undergrad at GW is probably a small negative factor.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 01:37:40 PM »
Wait, hold up, how is it a negative factor?

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »
american is good for you.

george mason might be

gw is questionable, probably no.

maryland is a maybe

g-town is a maybe pt, but probably no for fulltime.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »
O I wasnt even planning on touching GTown, I dont know how that came up in the convo.

And 3.75 for their median?? Thats really high, I am pretty sure it has to be lower then that. Because that would meant that their 75th is going to be like 3.9.

Although I agree with you that law schools want to diversify their student body, if somebody from say Florida has the same numbers as me and is white, I think I would provide a more "diverse" option then that person, but maybe you are right, I have no way to tell.

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
the median at GW according to the ABA is 165/3.62. (http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5246.pdf)
That data is likely to be at least a year old though.

iscoredawaitlist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
Being an undergrad might be an asset.  My alma mater, the University of Iowa, absolutely loved its undergrads and encouraged us to stay in Iowa.

Public institutions tend to be a little different in that aspect because they do have an interest in keeping you close. I don't know how it is at GW, but at USC, they'd love to have more of us go work outside of Southern California in order to raise the national profile of the institution. However, given that most places have winter and it takes more effort to get jobs elsewhere, this proves difficult for them.

In any case, I don't think whether it's an advantage or a disadvantage that it's much of one either way.