Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Have 2 LORs, want to apply, but good LORs still coming  (Read 683 times)

LetItRide

• View Profile
Have 2 LORs, want to apply, but good LORs still coming
« on: October 27, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
Ok so I have 2 LORs already on LSDAS.  I'm done with my applications and ready to send them in.

That said, my two most recent and best LORs are still being written.  The professors are really slow to get things in, too, and possibly unpredictable.  They volunteered to write LORs without being asked, but they're also super busy.

So, what's the best decision now?  I know on some apps, I have to say which LORs are being sent/who is writing them.  I'm applying to a lot of schools so I'd like to work through LSDAS.

If I send the 2 that I already have, can I direct the schools to read over the newer LORs instead?  Will my application move from being towards the front of the pack to the back?

Thanks.

KD03

• Sr. Citizen
  • ?
    • View Profile
Re: Have 2 LORs, want to apply, but good LORs still coming
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »
I've got the same question, how does this work? Does LSAC put an indicator on your file that LORs are on the way, so the school knows to look for them?

ManTGeo

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
Re: Have 2 LORs, want to apply, but good LORs still coming
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »
Generally, unless a school asks you to list recommenders (many do), you will go complete as soon as they receive the minimum number of recs. If you do not add a school to your list of schools where you are directing specific LOR's (this is easy to do) then your general LOR's (up to the number accepted by the school) will go with your report, and you will end up complete and possibly have your application reviewed before your best recs get there.

I think there are a few different ways to proceed, based on the specific applications we're talking about:

1. Schools that will let you go complete now but apparently don't start review until later (a combination of LSN and people here might help you get an idea of this): For these, you can sometimes afford to go complete earlier than when your best recs are available (still getting the early-completion advantage) because they will add new items received before review to your file.

2. Schools that will let you list recommenders: These will sometimes give you the option (or, by default) to hold completion until the specific recs you want are available. That said, you probably lose the early-bird advantage.

3. Schools that will let you go complete as soon as they receive the required number of recs, and will review your file soon: at these schools, you can help keep yourself from going complete by adding them to your list of schools for specific LOR direction, and waiting until the other two recs come in to specify that these should go to the schools. Of courses, you probably also lose early app advantage here. Keep in mind, though, that if your app is held for later consideration or if you are waitlisted, you can always have the other recs sent later.