Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Back to Boston or Case Western Reserve University?  (Read 899 times)

loveroflaw232323

• View Profile
Back to Boston or Case Western Reserve University?
« on: October 26, 2007, 06:32:39 PM »
My situation is unique.  I have already completed my first year of law school at Boston College.  Due to some crazy circumstances I had to take a leave of absence (family situation). My grades during my first year were less than stellar.  I worked at a firm after first year, but had to leave also due to leave of absencefrom school.  My question is should I return to BC or attend Case Western Reserve which is close to hometown?

Pros and Cons:
1. I have two children and if I stay near home I will have family support and won't need to worry about baby sitting issues (no family in Boston).
2.  My GPA will start over at Case.
3. B.C. is a higher ranked school and if I work my ass off, I can bring my GPA up before graduation.
4.  If I go back to Boston, I may have to temporarily leave my family behind due to baby sitting issues. 

--Do you think higher rank outweighs possibly better gpa at lower ranked school?

duck need nanny

• View Profile
Re: Back to Boston or Case Western Reserve University?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:39:11 PM »
How did you do babysitting your first year?

Also, what is your GPA?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
If you were to come back here would you want to stay in Boston or would you be trying to move back to Cleveland?  I think that if you don't intend to stick around New England you should probably stay in Cleveland.  I can't imagine doing this with kids and without much family support ... if you can start over, I guess I would probably take that opportunity.
Good luck.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:22:14 AM »
I'd pick Case I think, seems you have too compelling reasons to stay. That being said, you're going to transfer in as a 2L not start over fresh right?

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:41:12 AM »
Considering your overall situation I would pick Case unless you ultimately want to practice in the Northeast, in that case BC might be the better option despite the hassles (which I do realize are quite big).
2L and counting...