Law School Discussion

Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?

3-Elle

• I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
Re: Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2007, 08:26:36 PM »

Hmmmm. [Guy peers over woman's shoulder.] "Hey, you're so-and-so on LSD? I'm on LSD, too ... I'm Tetris! Wanna see my stats?" Love ensues.

love this pick-up line. only a problem if she doesn't know what LSD is...you don't really want her to think you're on drugs...unless she's into that kinda thing ;-)

as for the original question...me and my SO just broke up, it sucked but it's better to deal with it now than during your first year at law school. when we were still together i felt like i had to stay in state and could only go to one law school, now i have so much more freedom knowing that i can go to whatever school i want.

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »
I have no idea how to pick up girls.  I thought this might be a curse until I decided to go to law school.  I will avoid that distraction altogether!   ...:'(

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2007, 02:13:17 PM »
if you go T14: Keep her through LS, and then dump her. MODELS AND BOTTLES!
If you go TTT: Marry her. You'll need her to support you financially after law school.

TITCR, but you forgot to mention to let her pay for your entire T14 tuition (presumably she'll be working while you're at school) before you dump her.

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
Well, my boyfriend and I just broke up, after ~3.5 years together.  We were doing the long distance thing since, like you Tetris, I didn't want to ask him to give up his life and move for something that I wasn't 100% sure about.  Other things to think about (things that ultimately dealt our relationship the final blow):

1) You will be meeting A LOT of smart/driven/ambitious women at school
2) You will develop a bond with your classmates that your partner cannot share, no matter how hard she tries -- this can lead to your partner feeling unwanted, lonely, like they are your second priority
3) You might feel that your partner is not ambitious or driven or smart enough for you
4) Your partner might feel that you are leaving her behind
5) Your goals might become more divergent, particularly if your grades are awesome and you decide you want to work in London/clerk/move across the country to explore amazing opportunities
6) Girls: think about how being an attorney can affect your home life/kids.  Also think about how fragile the male ego is--if he can't handle you being in law school, how can he handle you as a lawyer and (maybe) earning more than him?
7) Because your partner doesn't understand the tasks and challenges that come with law school, she might not be as supportive as you would like, and get mad when you try to explain why you need her to let you live in the library and not talk to her for a few weeks
8) If your partner is having life or work troubles, they might feel that you are not as reliable or interested in their life as you used to be.

Bottom line, law school is very consuming.  Not just the academic aspect, but also socializing and attending random functions, meetings, and events.  For me, in the end, my boyfriend couldn't handle the idea of a girlfried who couldn't talk every night for several hours.  The distance was also a female dog, since we're not within driving distance of each other. 

My advice?  If you don't love them or they don't love you enough to move--you are probably better off without them.

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2007, 06:50:33 PM »

Does anyone know just how active the dating scene is at law school?

Amy Winehouse

• Rehab is for quitters.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »

Does anyone know just how active the hook up/dating scene is at law school? Particularly the top 5...

Haha, at my school...let's just say that the first three weeks are very active.  And that everyone knows about it.  I'm not too sure how the whole dating-thing works, especially since there's hardly enough time to take care of yourself, much less invest in a relationship.  IMO, there are tons more hookups than dates, though the frequency of both slacks off toward the end of the semester. 

tradewinds

• YLS 2011 (98% sure)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2007, 06:56:19 PM »

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »

Sounds like a recipe for divorce and a vicious financial man-raping and castration about 8 years after graduating from law school together. I'll pass.

So you'd prefer stupid/listless/passive women instead? What are men so scared of?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »

Sounds like a recipe for divorce and a vicious financial man-raping and castration about 8 years after graduating from law school together. I'll pass.

So you'd prefer stupid/listless/passive women instead? What are men so scared of?

Agreed. There is nothing sexier than an intelligent woman. Plus the intelligent women always seem to look better when they're older. I'd only consider an average or below average intelligence woman if she was very attractive and good in the sack.

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »
stay together, break up, or get married.