Law School Discussion

Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »
before law school i'm traveling to new zealand.. my gf wants us to stay together while i do that.. yeah, right... just gotta figure out how to break it to her

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2007, 11:09:52 AM »
before law school i'm traveling to new zealand.. my gf wants us to stay together while i do that.. yeah, right... just gotta figure out how to break it to her

How long will you be there? And if you feel that way, why not break up now?

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2007, 09:50:59 AM »

13 months... because I really like her and we have a great time together... for me, i guess relationships aren't about future potential but about being happy today... I would be less happy, and so would she, if we broke up now...

btw... i did break it to her... she took it well and wants to do stay together as long as possible as well

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2007, 10:38:30 AM »

13 months...

Are you going to be in NZ for 13 months or traveling all over the place? I've been to AUS/NZ a couple of times and am really considering moving down there in the next 10 years. You'll love it!

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2007, 10:40:26 AM »
Haven't read the rest of the thread, but:

If your relationship adds support, stay together.

If your relationship adds drama, break up!

I'm married, so obviously we never considered getting divorced for me to go to law school.  But I feel really lucky to have his support during 1L year.  I would hate to either have relationship drama or to be wishing I were in a relationship (which, sorry, is how I was when I was single).

bloomlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »

13 months...

Are you going to be in NZ for 13 months or traveling all over the place? I've been to AUS/NZ a couple of times and am really considering moving down there in the next 10 years. You'll love it!

yeah, pretty much only NZ, maybe a little OZ and some of the rest of the South Pacific. Words can not describe how excited I am.

Whats your favorite place in NZ?

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2007, 11:59:27 AM »
Speaking as an intelligent woman who is vegetarian for ethical reasons and sensitive to the rights of animals:

I like to hang out in nice, hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that serve organic fair-trade coffee and chai, preferably ones attached to cozy, hole-in-the-wall bookshops.

That is where we lurk, sipping our chai and obsessively refreshing our email.
I like you.

If a random geeky-looking guy (who may or may not think that he is a bear) with a laptop randomly approached you and said hello at one of these places, would you be put off by it?

I am a veggie/animal friendly geeky (intelligent?) girl that also hangs out at coffee shops. They are great social enviroments and perfect for meeting people. They are also generally filled with well-off/upwardly mobile people because of the cost of coffee at these places.

As far as approahing a girl, its better if you have been there a few times and she recognizes you. Oh, and don't bother her during finals... that is the best way to get shot down.

As for being a "bear," keep in mind that outside of LSD that term means something completely different. ;)

What should someone say to such a girl if they've never talked before? Introduce himself, say the girl looks interesting, talk about the coffee place, and see where it leads? I'm a pretty shy guy. This concept intrigues me.

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
What should someone say to such a girl if they've never talked before? Introduce himself, say the girl looks interesting, talk about the coffee place, and see where it leads? I'm a pretty shy guy. This concept intrigues me.

Hmmmm. [Guy peers over woman's shoulder.] "Hey, you're so-and-so on LSD? I'm on LSD, too ... I'm Tetris! Wanna see my stats?" Love ensues.

But seriously-- I'm pretty shy, too, but when I try to meet people, I just try to be as much myself as possible. Does she have a few books on her table? Maybe ask her if such-and-such book is interesting, or does she have any suggestions on this-or-that topic for reading. Usually it seems like this stuff just happens, but I've plotted before. Like, if I saw someone cute, I would try and get a table near him, and the try to make eye contact and give a little smile or nod a few times, to show that I'm friendly, before trying to start a conversation. Usually you can tell pretty quickly by the person's body language and verbal responses whether or not they're interested.

This is all just off the top of my head.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:44 PM »

Hmmmm. [Guy peers over woman's shoulder.] "Hey, you're so-and-so on LSD? I'm on LSD, too ... I'm Tetris! Wanna see my stats?" Love ensues.

But seriously-- I'm pretty shy, too, but when I try to meet people, I just try to be as much myself as possible. Does she have a few books on her table? Maybe ask her if such-and-such book is interesting, or does she have any suggestions on this-or-that topic for reading. Usually it seems like this stuff just happens, but I've plotted before. Like, if I saw someone cute, I would try and get a table near him, and the try to make eye contact and give a little smile or nod a few times, to show that I'm friendly, before trying to start a conversation. Usually you can tell pretty quickly by the person's body language and verbal responses whether or not they're interested.

This is all just off the top of my head.

I should change the name of this thread to "ITT: Give Tetris advice on how to pick up cool vegetarian girls."

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »
As far as the original question goes...it sounds like you are wanting to break up and I think that is probably what you should do.  I can think of nothing worse than trying to deal with the hell of being a 1L, while at the same time having to deal with the issues/drama that come with a crumbling relationship.

As to picking up girls in coffee shops, etc.-it's always nice to have a stranger approach you and start talking, and would be worth the gamble.  However, experience tells me that there are horror stories out there.