Law School Discussion

Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?

siski

• View Profile
Re: Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
Speaking as an intelligent woman who is vegetarian for ethical reasons and sensitive to the rights of animals:

I like to hang out in nice, hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that serve organic fair-trade coffee and chai, preferably ones attached to cozy, hole-in-the-wall bookshops.

That is where we lurk, sipping our chai and obsessively refreshing our email.

BearlyLegal

• And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
Speaking as an intelligent woman who is vegetarian for ethical reasons and sensitive to the rights of animals:

I like to hang out in nice, hole-in-the-wall coffee shops that serve organic fair-trade coffee and chai, preferably ones attached to cozy, hole-in-the-wall bookshops.

I like you.

If a random geeky-looking guy (who may or may not think that he is a bear) with a laptop randomly approached you and said hello at one of these places, would you be put off by it?

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 10:19:41 AM »

The cozy coffee shop three houses down from my own is attached by way of a hole in the wall (well, more like an archway) to a cozy used/rare bookshop. The coffee shop is open 24 hours...maybe Tetris should camp out in there for a couple of days and see what happens.

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 10:22:02 AM »
May I please buy you an eco-friendly squash?

May I suggest the locally grown, organic eggplant? There's nothing that says "I want you" like some good old fashioned eggplant parmesan.

I'm hungry.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »

I like you.

If a random geeky-looking guy (who may or may not think that he is a bear) with a laptop randomly approached you and said hello at one of these places, would you be put off by it?

I am a veggie/animal friendly geeky (intelligent?) girl that also hangs out at coffee shops. They are great social enviroments and perfect for meeting people. They are also generally filled with well-off/upwardly mobile people because of the cost of coffee at these places.

As far as approahing a girl, its better if you have been there a few times and she recognizes you. Oh, and don't bother her during finals... that is the best way to get shot down.

As for being a "bear," keep in mind that outside of LSD that term means something completely different. ;)

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:40 AM »

I like you.

I am a veggie/animal friendly geeky (intelligent?) girl that also hangs out at coffee shops. They are great social enviroments and perfect for meeting people. They are also generally filled with well-off/upwardly mobile people because of the cost of coffee at these places.

As far as approahing a girl, its better if you have been there a few times and she recognizes you. Oh, and don't bother her during finals... that is the best way to get shot down.

As for being a "bear," keep in mind that outside of LSD that term means something completely different. ;)

O_O OMG it does?!

siski

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 10:45:08 AM »

I like you.

Naah -- I like it when people approach, as long as they're not creepy about it. It's how I make friends. PennyLane is right about finals week, though. If we are surrounded by piles of paper, empty coffee cups, highlighters, and books, and we are feverishly pecking at our keyboards -- beware!

qt314

• pi = 3.14, k?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »

I like you.

Naah -- I like it when people approach, as long as they're not creepy about it. It's how I make friends. PennyLane is right about finals week, though. If we are surrounded by piles of paper, empty coffee cups, highlighters, and books, and we are feverishly pecking at our keyboards -- beware!

i agree on this. i've made a couple of friends this way, when we realized we were both lurkers at the same coffee shop

siskiyoumtn, i think the reason why my SO and i work well together is that we are both *genuinely* intellectually open-minded. a lot of people say they are, but really they harbor bitter memories/stereotypes of religious fanatics or condescending atheists. we've both read all the arguments pro/con and totally accept that other people have different views.

on the other hand, my boyfriend is NOT open-minded when it comes to food. if i cooked, he obviously ate the veggie meals i made, but then we ended up eating out more often because he really wanted meat. and one of the things he loves most about eating with me at a restaurant is that we can share entrees, and he felt really bad that he couldn't share his carnivorous dish with me :).

BearlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 01:56:42 PM »

I like you.

i agree on this. i've made a couple of friends this way, when we realized we were both lurkers at the same coffee shop

siskiyoumtn, i think the reason why my SO and i work well together is that we are both *genuinely* intellectually open-minded. a lot of people say they are, but really they harbor bitter memories/stereotypes of religious fanatics or condescending atheists. we've both read all the arguments pro/con and totally accept that other people have different views.

on the other hand, my boyfriend is NOT open-minded when it comes to food. if i cooked, he obviously ate the veggie meals i made, but then we ended up eating out more often because he really wanted meat. and one of the things he loves most about eating with me at a restaurant is that we can share entrees, and he felt really bad that he couldn't share his carnivorous dish with me :).
This is why I remain a perpetual carnivore, even against my better nature. I have tried veggie-ism, but I felt like no matter how much I ate, I was still starving, and something was missing. :(

Also, I am a bear.

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2007, 01:08:42 AM »
My SO and I are trying to go to the same school. Though earlier today he was mapquesting the distance between ND and Chicago... I would rather not do the long distance thing though.

I would replace Notre Dame with Illinois.