Law School Discussion

Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?

El_Che

• View Profile
Re: Significant Others: Stay Together or Breakup?
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2008, 12:58:14 AM »
My SO of 4 years and I just broke up this evening. We both knew the time was at hand, but god damn if it wasn't still one of the hardest things I've ever gone through :(

Anyone else in the same boat; You're not alone.

« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2008, 06:24:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about that :(

I am in a new relationship, and we are going to try to make things work, but obviously it's hard.

Where you headed next year?  I know it really sucks, but I will say this.  If it was inevitable, it was probably better to deal with this situation now as opposed to in August.  It still sucks, though and I'm sure it's going to be painful no matter what.

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
I just had "the talk" with my SO of 4+ years a few days ago. We're not completely breaking up now, since we're going to keep living together until I leave, but we are definitely considering ourselves broken up once school starts. On the one hand, it's kinda sucky to have any relationship end; but on the other, I'm really glad that (so far) we've both been able to keep perspective enough to be mature and realistic about everything. For what it's worth, outside of marriage it seems like virtually no one stays with their SOs through law school, so we should all be glad to be getting the hard part out of the way now rather than, say, when we're studying for finals.

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
I think it depends on the situation-- obviously everyone is different. My SO and I are staying together. We have been together one year now, and i am only moving to law school that is 5 hours away. Fortunately enough, her sister lives near, and she has been wanting to relocate anyway, so the logical thing was for us to move together.

For us, it was convenient enough to stay together, and she is willing to work at it. I am not making any promises, but i figure since we are happy together I owe it to her to be open about it.

Im not sure if it would be the same story had i decided to go to a coast or something, but we will see how it goes! My girlfriend has told me many times that she wouldn't let me break up with her even if i wanted to!

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2008, 10:20:51 AM »
Good for you Jam.  Perhaps part of the reason people break up in law school relationships is because they feel it is expected/what everyone does, when in reality that isn't true.  I think sometimes that image gets pushed onto people...that you are an idiot for trying to keep a relationship together...and that also adds stress.

Good luck and hopefully everything works out for the best!

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2008, 10:26:23 AM »
This thread was truly depressing.  Even the happy stories were depressing.

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I know two couples in law school who are long distance and have stayed together through 1L?  It's possible, though I thought you had said you were breaking up...though maybe not by choice?

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I know two couples in law school who are long distance and have stayed together through 1L?  It's possible, though I thought you had said you were breaking up...though maybe not by choice?

Already happened.

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
Breaking up sucks and is exhausting and is everything else bad that I can think of. 

Sorry about your situation.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
It's okay  :-X

Law school ruined my life.