Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking FEBRUARY LSAT and applying for fall '08  (Read 1834 times)

absk8r77

• View Profile
    • Email
Taking FEBRUARY LSAT and applying for fall '08
« on: October 26, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »
hey people, i definitely did not do the way i would have liked on the sept LSAT and i seeing as there's onlike 1 month until the december one i am considering just going for the feb test....

i'm pretty sure that it's POSSIBLE to take the feb. test and still apply for fall '08 but would it be recommended?? how does it work in terms of rolling admissions and such...? if it's basically a 1st come 1st serve basis for reviewing apps then i would think taking the feb. test is a bad idea. 

please give me your thoughts. 
thanks so much.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Taking FEBRUARY LSAT and applying for fall '08
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:25:14 PM »
I think you can certainly apply for Fall 08 if you take the February test. A lot of schools have application deadlines well past February. But it is cutting it close and puts you at a disadvantage I think, but some schools still accept the February test.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 01:28:28 PM »
Now, this is somewhat of a blur to me, because as said, you would think the Feb test would be ok because you'll have the results before application deadline anyway (though you'd be at major disadvantage). However, the few adcomms I've talked to (UMich, NYU and Rutgers-N that I can think of) have actually told me straight out that they do not accept Feb tests for first tests. If it's a re-take, they will hold for the new score, but not for 1st time tests. I don't really quite understand the reasoning behind this myself, but you'd be very strongly advised to take the Dec test instead of the Feb test.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »
Now, this is somewhat of a blur to me, because as said, you would think the Feb test would be ok because you'll have the results before application deadline anyway (though you'd be at major disadvantage). However, the few adcomms I've talked to (UMich, NYU and Rutgers-N that I can think of) have actually told me straight out that they do not accept Feb tests for first tests. If it's a re-take, they will hold for the new score, but not for 1st time tests. I don't really quite understand the reasoning behind this myself, but you'd be very strongly advised to take the Dec test instead of the Feb test.

Hmm, I didn't know that. I took in September and I want to retake in February..so they will accept that score because its not my first test? Should I send the apps in before I take the test and just indicate that they wait for my second score before reviewing my app?

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:36:49 PM »
Let me tell ya, I applied VERY late last cycle (Feb 1 and later) and it REALLY hurt my cycle. I got WLed at schools I should have easily got accepted to and rejected from schools I should have been accepted to or at least WLed. Now I am stuck in the position of reapplying this cycle. It sucks!

Even though they are accepting applications it does not mean they will actually have a seat for you.

Oh, and I have spoken to several of my schools this cycle about my situation, and I have had more than one tell me that I probably got the result I did b/c of my late apps and not my numbers.

Hope that helps.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

cyberds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:44 PM »
Taking the february test puts you at an extreme disadvantage when applying to most schools. By the time your scores are released they have already sent back most of the admissions decisions and by then, have already compiled a waitlist. Due to the fact that most schools admit on a rolling basis your chances of being admitted (unless your well beyond the gpa and lsat median for that particular school) are much lower than what they would be if you took the december test.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 01:48:49 PM »
BTW... my advice, take the LSAT when you are ready and will do the best. If that is Feb, wait until Fall 09 for law school. use the time until then to do volunteer work, get legal experience etc. Work on you resume, PS, LORs and submit all your apps next year the first day each schools is availible.

You will (most likely) have much better results.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »

Hmm, I didn't know that. I took in September and I want to retake in February..so they will accept that score because its not my first test? Should I send the apps in before I take the test and just indicate that they wait for my second score before reviewing my app?

Yeah, that's how they explained it to me. Still, if you ask them to hold your application till Feb you're ending up pretty far back in the application stack, and as Penny said, that's not a good thing.

You really really should try hard for the Dec test.

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:01:23 PM »
I think I will just apply for Fall 09 and take the June test. If taking the February test doesn't help me regardless of getting a better score, it probably makes more sense to take the June test, giving me the next 8 months to prep like crazy, which hopefully will yield a better score than if I take in February and will also allow me to get my apps in super early for Fall 09.