Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southwestern 1L taking questions  (Read 2100 times)

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Southwestern Class of 2010
    • View Profile
Southwestern 1L taking questions
« on: October 25, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
Hey all,

I remember how stressful this time was last year, so I thought I'd do my mitzvah for the day and see if I could answer any questions about my school... So anyone?

doos13

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Southwestern 1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:39:19 AM »
how does southwestern compare to northwestern and to northeastern

calirestinpeace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:22:51 AM »
are you liking the school/classes so far?  how competitive have you found it?  does the school have a commuter feel at all? 

thanks

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 04:08:47 AM »
Well, I didn't look into Northwestern at all so I really can't answer that question.  Northeastern works on a co-op program that I simply wasn't interested in.  I'm sorry I can't help you out more.

I like my first year classes (except for contracts but that's just because of my learning style).  The school has a bit of a commuter feel because it is hard to get together with people after school because some students come from Orange county, Riverside, Inland Empire, etc.  They do try to compensate for that with Bar Review (more bar than review), extra-curricular activities, and long lunches for club meetings and guest speakers. It's weird, though, after coming from a big football school where everyone lived within a couple miles of campus.

The campus is great, though.  The building is incredibly beautiful, and the library staff is very helpful.  You do find the students here are more in law for the money than helping people.  It is a little difficult to adjust to after coming from a politically active background... but there are students here with similar goals as myself (you just have to search a little).  The faculty is really caring.  I was going through some personal issues and after talking to my professors, they were happy to help me get caught up anyway they could.  One thing I love about school is how close it is to the subway.  I decided a great way to save on money was to due without a car, and the subway is incredibly helpful. 

I don't find it competitive, but I've heard after the first semester (and grades coming out), things can change a bit.   

notvictoria

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
Where is Southwestern's Bar Review tonight? Are they fun?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 01:33:53 PM »
How do you feel about job prospects? (I know that is a few years away).  Are you concerned about getting a decent paying job or have you heard other students express similar concern? There are quite a few law schools in Southern California and several of them would come ahead of Southwestern as far as name recognition and prestige.  Just curious.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:29:49 PM »
I only went to the first Bar review.  It was fun, but I don't feel like it is a good use of my time because I have Friday AM classes.

As for job prospects... We aren't USC or UCLA... but we know that.  We understand that it is going to be a little harder to get jobs than if we went to an instant name recognition school.   However, there is a HUGE alumni base, and that really helps us.  Also, the career office is really helpful...  They bring a lot of employers to campus to speak; there are also many panel discussions with attorneys that are well respected in their fields.  With entertainment law, we have a day on campus with network and studio heads come and make contacts with students.  I'm in my first semester, and I am very close to closing my first summer job.  The exception is, these jobs might not be well paying at first (not BIG LAW), but the one I am going after is very rewarding.

Our campus is very tight-knit, and I've heard that people really help out fellow classmates after graduation.   Also, our faculty is fantastic and very personable.   I am heading into finals next week, and I am so happy I came here. It's a really unique law school environment.  OH! Also, the teachers bend over backwards to help us.  They hold tons of extra sessions to review for exams.  They make many exam examples available to us.  I really can't say enough good things about the faculty.

calirestinpeace

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 05:52:54 PM »
How hard was it to find housing?  I think that's my biggest worry about moving to L.A.  Maybe not just finding somewhere to live, but somewhere convenient as a student and not crazy expensive.

darlinalexi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 10:29:26 PM »
Sorry...with finals I haven't been checking back much...

Housing was a bit difficult.  The first thing to know about LA is where NOT to look for housing.  This includes most of the area around the school (the restored historic parts of K-town are fine, but some of it near Macarthur park is scary at night).  Campus itself is quite safe though.  Also, I didn't want to live in downtown, or anything South of Olympic (as town starts getting fairly scary and gang-ridden the further south you go... though of course exceptions exist). Good rule of thumb... stay mostly northwest of downtown.

Many people live in Los Feliz, Silverlake, West Hollywood, and Park Labrea.  Some live in Westwood near UCLA.  Others are happy with more reasonable rents in North Hollywood and the Valley.  I found a very affordable place in Hollywood.  While I wish I could be in West Hollywood, my budget didn't allow it.  Also, I'm lucky to live within walking distance of the Hollywood/Highland metro stop.  The metro goes right to school, and it's about  a 10 minute trip for me.  Most people drive, but LA Drivers are extremely aggressive, and I didn't want to start off driving here.  The metro is growing in popularity with my peers, and we are trying to get the school to start covering metro passes.   As a rule, try not to live more than a 30-45 minute drive from school.  I have some classmates who commute from Pomona, Orange County, and other places far from school.  They may save money on rent, but they get to school at 6 am... Not worth it for me. 

Be expected to pay more than you did in the city you are coming from (unless that city in New York) for a smaller apartment.  Also, find an area you like, and check things out in person.  Online searches yielded no results for me.  Many places will have for rent signs.  Call them and set appointments.  If you don't have friends you can stay with while you're in the area, you might want to reserve a week in June or early July to hunt for apartments.... This can get really expensive though....

Also, there is a roommate matching list.  Many  of the people on this list have places already, and this can be a good place to start.   The only thing is that most of the students here are from LA, and they don't have the largest picture of reasonableness when it comes to finances.  While I only pay 825 a month in rent, many of my classmates wouldn't flinch paying 1400 a month or higher.  So make sure you find someone who you are compatible with in this way.

But, there is hope.  I only got off the waitlist 2 weeks before classes started, moved from cross-country, did not know LA at all, and I found a 2 bedroom, 2 bath in a great area for 1650 a month.   I was lucky, though, that the day I got here, a friend from high school told me that she was moving to LA and needed a roommate... So I didn't have to deal with that side of things. . . Otherwise, I'd be looking for a studio. 

Also, make sure that your building has lock on the outside door with a buzzer for guests.  Furthermore, look for a place with their own garage, because a building with street or not its own parking is a headache in the making (both for you and for your guests).

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:26:53 AM »
How would you rate the entertainment and sports law program?