Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaking the LSAT in December, need some tips on how/what to study  (Read 681 times)

ChangedMan

• View Profile
Hello all. I received a 162 on my first sitting in September and I have decided to retake as I would like to have a chance at Fordham/NYU. My breakdown for the Sept 07 was as follows (Number wrong per section) 6 Games / 6 RC / 4 LR / 4 LR. I took a worthless kaplan course over the summer that really didn't help all that much. I have heard a lot about powerscore and will likely order both the LG/LR Books tomorrow. I have roughly a month left to study, is it worth getting both books? Will I be able to work through them? (I know it depends on personal ability but I have no idea how long they are). Also what are some tips about going up in RC?

I was practicing from 165-173 before the exam and had some unfortunate circumstances arise on test day which really threw me off my game.

ChangedMan

• View Profile
Re: Retaking the LSAT in December, need some tips on how/what to study
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
any advice/tips?

Bowie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 02:26:04 PM »
For those who scored really well, how long did you study the powerscore books for? I did below my expectations for the September LSAT and I read the powerscore books. Then again, I only studied them for about a month and a half.

ChangedMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »
Wallace, I planned on applying to Fordham/UConn/American and some others with that score while indicating on the application that I will be retaking in December. I know that even if I score higher there is a good possibility I could end up wait-listed at that point. I figure its a risk/reward type situation. Any comments on how I'm going about it?

The PS books were ordered from Amazon today and should be here by Monday. I only have a month remaining, do you recommend I spend much of time on the LR? Total thats 8 questions wrong which is usually indicative of my practice tests. I figured even if I can get 2 more right per section I'm up four points to 83 correct instead of 79 which on this test would have been a 165.

Trill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 03:14:21 PM »
If you received 2 more points per section, that's going to transform your 162 into a 168. That's why it gets much harder to see increases in your score. Each question matters at this point. You really have to be clutch.

I underperformed on the Sept. LSAT as well, and I've been through the powerscore books. Sometimes, I'm not sure how much the powerscore books will truly help outside of setting a foundation.

I completely botched the games section, though, and I feel that I need to really ace the games for December in order to improve the most. I'm not sure how much I can improve on LR/RC.

hansolo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:05:38 PM »
Since you've already done a course and know the basics you should focus on taking actual LSATs.  You should go through each test that you take and figure out why your wrong answers were wrong.  There's a book that has explanations for some of the more recent LSATs released by LSAC and the writer scored a 176.  He isn't about wasting time or using gimmicks, he shows readers how he thinks his way through tests within the allotted time.

If you use his book it will make it easier for you to correct yourself on other LSAT Preptests.  It's not very expensive and it sure beats tutors, prep classes and books with fake LSAT questions that just waste your time.

The book is sold online at www.allstartestprep.com